Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

A taste of Orkney

FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
We recently visited Orkney and had a brilliant week exploring. We stayed in Quoyloo (about two minute walk away from Orkney Brewery) and discovered some amazing food and drink is produced in Orkney. 

If you love food then you should read my blog post

Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube

Comments

• VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Looks great @FullStopNextChapter, what else did you get up to on your visit?
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Thanks @VisitScotlandLiam. Plenty of walking - to work off all that food! 
    We visited Skara Brae, ring of Brodgar, Brough of Birsay, Italian Chapel, Broch of Gurness, St Magnus Cathedral, Scapa Flow...... I will be writing about it all very soon. 

Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Fantastic!  Sounds like you had a great time! @FullStopNextChapter
  • HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    Great blogpost!! A bit sad to see you missed out on the Orkney Wine company and the Swannay Brewery (the latter is in the north of the mainland). I've had a lot of beer from a number of Scottish breweries and Swannay is one of the very best, much better (in my opinion) than the Orkney Brewery (which is a solid choice by itself).

Lovely indeed to see that you chose to visit Scapa, it is definitely my pick of the distilleries. If you do want to try out the Orkney Wine company's products, I have bought bottles in Edinburgh from Cranachan & Crowdie (check with them if they have any in stock).
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Thanks @Horizons. We stopped off at Orkney Wine Company twice and both times they were closed. After looking at their website I have my eye on some port from them for Christmas. 

We drove out to Swannay Brewery and the shop was closed and we didn't get a chance to go back. Great building they have though. However, something good did come from the trip out to them, we found Broch of Gurness (which is amazing). 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • spootsspoots Member ✭✭
    Hi @FullStopNextChapter.  That post was great to read!  I'm glad to hear that you had a good time.

Next time you're in the isles I'd recommend trying some of the Orkney Dairy's Smoked Cheese.  Delish.  And definitely Orkney Ice Cream, as well - you can find that across Scotland (I saw a newsagents selling it in Melrose, for example).  I certainly love Orkney Fudge!

One of the best places to go for Orcadian food is to have dinner at the Stromness Hotel.  And anywhere that does Orkney fudge cheesecake, really.

Swannay Brewery is located in Birsay Parish.  Nearby is the Barony Mill - where they produce beremeal that you can buy.  You can visit the mill in the summer, and there are tours too.  Production takes place in the winter.

Beremeal is a traditional Orcadian flour made from bere, an ancient, six-row version of barley that is unique to the county.  You can use it like normal flour - it's unique, tasty, and healthy too.

You did an awful lot!  I look forward to reading about it.  :)