Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Top 5 ‘must do’ tours in Scotland

City or country? Coast or historic? There is so much to see in Scotland, no wonder so many opt to get organised and take a tour.

1.    You can’t visit Scotland without finding out more about our national drink. Speyside is a hot spot for charming distilleries with daily guided tours and a ‘dram’ for afters.

2.    Our cities are special, but our Highlands are spectacular. Take a road tour into the Great Glen, the Cairngorms or follow the road to the isles.

3.    Scotland’s railways offer a snapshot of Scotland that just can’t be seen from the road. From steam railways across the stunning Glenfinnan viaduct – think Harry Potter on his way to Hogwart’s - to the funicular ride to the top of the Cairngorms, let the train take the strain.

4.    Got the golf bug? Scotland’s the home of golf, so it would be simply wrong not to pack the clubs and tour our world class courses.

5.    Go island hopping. Take the bikes and jump on a ferry across the water to Arran, known as ‘Scotland in miniature’, or venture further afield to the unspoilt, unique Western Isles.

Where would your ideal tour of Scotland take you?

Comments

• EileanDonanEileanDonan Member ✭✭
    The 5-day Highland Explorer tour that Rabbies offer is an outstanding tour. Visitor feedback we receive demonstrates just why they are one of the market leaders. Great guides, superb tour, and highlights galore!
  • SaracenBSaracenB Member
    I think a tour is a great way of sampling some of our great whiskies whilst seeing some of the Scottish landscapes at the same time.  I think Scottish Routes offers tours to both Speyside and Islay.  They come highly recommended.
  • LiesbethLiesbeth Member
    I did the 'Orkney & the Far North 5 day tour' by rabbies, in june. And it was absolutly wonderfull. Amazing sights, perfectly planned, very flexible for people's requests and just all around amazing. 
  • If you are visiting Stirling you will probably be going to see the wonderful  Stirling Castle. Probably the most impressive castle in Scotland. However, don't miss the Stirling Old Town tour, which takes you around the streets below the Castle. The guide is brilliant, full of great tales and funny stories about Old Stirling. The tours are at 2 & 4pm Meeting at Tourist Info (Old Town Jail) You can get tickets from tourist info or your guide before the tour. Company who runs it is Stirling Walking Tours. Its really fun and compliments a visit to the Castle.
  • IreneGIreneG Member ✭✭
    It was Late February this year and along with my husband we decided to travel by train from Glasgow to FortWilliam ---yes The West Highland Line ! It was a fantastic most scenic journey ! I can honestly say you will not be bored , the weather was kind , sunshine and a little snow added to this stunning journey . So if you are visiting Scotland let the train take the strain and experience this fantastic journey!