Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

West Coast - 4 days - early December

Hello! 
I have 4 nights with my partner in the West Coast at the end of November/beginning of December. 
I would love your tips and recommendations on where to go in this area. We arrive in Fort William on Thursday morning and fly out of Inverness on Monday morning so have just 4 days with a car hire. 
Will we be able to do some short walks in the area? Where would be the best towns or villages to stay? Will we be able to (/want to!) go on boat trips at this time of year? 
We are young, fairly active, like food and drinks and cosy places! If anyone has any recommendations they would be gratefully received. 
Many thanks
Louise

Comments

• VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hey @Loueyt sounds like a great trip you have planned!  If you're along the west coast, though, there is a few parts of Scotland you simply must see!

I would suggest visiting Fort William, Loch Lomond, Glencoe, Glasgow and maybe even spend a day in Arran!

If you would want more ideas, there is an itinerary on the VisitScotland.com website here, or maybe even @Horizons could help you out on creating an itinerary!

Hope this helps!
  • HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    Hey @Loueyt, depending on weather and road conditions (the biggest factor this time of year), there are a few places that you can do driving daytrip to from Fort William. WalkHighlands is a super resource to find walks for all difficulties and areas but do have the right footwear if you head to the hills.

I'd personally recommend driving around the Northwest of Scotland briefly making your way from Fort William to Inverness. Day 1 could be spent exploring Glencoe and Lochaber (the Lost Valley walk is very popular), visiting Glenfinnan for some stunning views and having lots of fresh & warm seafood in Mallaig (Oban is another alternative). I'd then recommend going to the Northwest (ie either Strathcarron / Applecross / Shieldaig / Torridon as a base) area via Eilean Donan castle. Skye is the other alternative here for spending the next couple of days in (awesome Cullen Skink at Buth Bheag at Kyle of Lochalsh to warm up). Spend a couple of days in the NW or Skye and then drive to Inverness on your 4th day.

Known cozy spots / good eats : the Torridon Inn (NW), The Sligachan hotel (Skye), Talisker distillery (Skye), Black Isle brewery taproom (Inverness, actually don't miss this if you like beer + pizza), the Torridon SYHA lounge (NW, it is unbelievable how cozy it is as a place to stay, may be closed for the winter),  both the Taynuilt hotel & the Ardanaiseig hotel (near Oban), Oban seafood hut, Oyster shack Skye, curry meals at Torridon SYHA, smoked salmon from Shieldaig.

Hope this helps, here's my experiences in Torridon & the NW, Skye, Arisaig + Rum (near Ft William), Oban and Inverness

P.S. thanks for the idea of writing a cozy places in Scotland post, I know a few :smile:
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)