Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Help with Itinery

Hello I was wondering if anyone has some help for me, my daughter and I are planning a trip to Scotland on the 3rd to 11th of Sept  2018, we would like to see the main things below and of course all the wonders along the way, I am finding it a bit tricky to get the trip to flow, I am not really too keen on driving but may have to consider it say from Fort William where is is away from cities, 
Isle of Skye - fairy pools
Inverness - Urquhart Castle, Loch ness
do the Jacobite train Fort william / mallaig
also see the Eilean Donan Castle, a bit a Outlander tour
Not sure if we should start in Glasgow spend a day there then head to Fort WIilliam, spend the night and do Jacobite train in the morning, then go to Eilean Donan Castle after the train,  Head to Portree the next day and stay there go with a bus to the Fairy Pools and see Isle of Skye, then go and stay in Inverness and look around then see the Urquhart Castle, Loch ness,  head back towards Edinburgh  and stay there for a couple of days.  I would be happy to catch public transport buses or trains to main parts, bus tour would be great too but I am trying to do it the cheapest way possible.
 Your thoughts please

Comments

• VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @vonnie, I'm sure @Horizons would be able to help you with some itinerary planning!
  • spootsspoots Member ✭✭
    edited October 27
    How about this as a basic outline?

DAY ONE: Glasgow, train to Fort William.
    overnight: Fort William

DAY TWO: Jacobite steam train, Mallaig Ferry, Portree
    overnight: Portree

DAY THREE: Day on Skye, Fairy Pools, Old Man of Storr
    overnight: Portree

DAY FOUR: Visit Eilean Donan, then train from Kyle of Localsh to Inverness
    overnight: Inverness

DAY FIVE: Urquhart Castle & Loch Ness
    overnight: Inverness

DAY SIX & SEVEN: Edinburgh
    overnight: Edinburgh

That is entirely doable by public transport (if you use these on Skye, and you should be able to: https://www.go-skye.co.uk/shuttles.html).  It also leaves you with three more days, so here are some extra suggestions for things to do, all connected to by public transport, and which you might be able to fit in between:

-THE SMALL ISLES (https://www.visitscotland.com/info/towns-villages/small-isles-eigg-rum-muck-canna-p236491).  Accessible by ferry from Mallaig.  Ask for tips on which one (or even possibly ones) to go to.
    -Raasay, a small island connected to Skye by a ferry service from Sconser.
    -Visiting the picturesque village of Plockton near Kyle of Localsh (it also has its own train station)
    -Spending more time near Inverness (for example, visiting Dornoch, Fort George or the Black Isle peninsula)
    -The lovely beach at Morar near Mallaig, as seen in the fantastic movie Local Hero among others
  • HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    I like your itinerary @spoots , I did something very similar this summer and went to Oban & Ballachulish instead of Fort William. The only thing missing from the initial request is an outlander tour and most of the shooting locations for Outlander are close to Edinburgh in Fife, hence I'd recommend getting on a tour from Edinburgh.

I also personally recommend Skye Scenic Tours as a great way to see Skye for non-drivers, I have done their day trip 3 times! Many of Skye's best places are not very accessible by public transport and this tour lets you cover all of that in a single day.

I find Inverness to be a place where I have a lot of free time (Loch Ness + Urquhart castle) does not take more than half a day. Might I suggest a Carrbridge + Aviemore train journey for the other half of the day to take a peek into the Cairngorms (both accessible by train).
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
  • spootsspoots Member ✭✭
    edited October 28
    Horizons said:
    I like your itinerary @spoots , I did something very similar this summer and went to Oban & Ballachulish instead of Fort William. The only thing missing from the initial request is an outlander tour and most of the shooting locations for Outlander are close to Edinburgh in Fife, hence I'd recommend getting on a tour from Edinburgh.

I also personally recommend Skye Scenic Tours as a great way to see Skye for non-drivers, I have done their day trip 3 times! Many of Skye's best places are not very accessible by public transport and this tour lets you cover all of that in a single day.

I find Inverness to be a place where I have a lot of free time (Loch Ness + Urquhart castle) does not take more than half a day. Might I suggest a Carrbridge + Aviemore train journey for the other half of the day to take a peek into the Cairngorms (both accessible by train).
    Oh yeah, I forgot about the whole Outlander thing.  Thanks @Horizons :)

Similarly @vonnie, if you get down to Aviemore then you can take a steam train to Boat of Garten or Broomhill on the Strathspey Steam Railway (https://www.strathspeyrailway.co.uk/).  Or a bus ride from Aviemore or Kingussie will take you to the Highland Wildlife Park (https://www.strathspeyrailway.co.uk/) near Kincraig.  A trip to the open-air Highland Folk Museum (https://www.highlifehighland.com/highlandfolkmuseum/) in the Cairngorms village of Newtonmore would tie in nicely with the Highland heritage of Outlander.

For Outlander, you'll want to see Falkland village (hourly buses from Perth and Glenrothes, bi-hourly from St Andrews and Cupar), and Doune Castle (hourly buses from Stirling and Callander in the Trossachs).  These services are much less frequent on Sundays.  These are just two of the many filming locations for Outlander; others include Callender House in Falkirk (don't confuse with Callander), Culross in Fife, and Blackness Castle.  https://www.visitscotland.com/see-do/attractions/tv-film/outlander/itinerary/ has a 12-day itinerary for an Outlander tour, which should give you some ideas for places to go.

(As a bonus, Doune Castle is perhaps more famous for being the castle featured in Monty Python and the Holy Grail!)
  • vonnievonnie Member
    Thank you so very much for your detailed reply, I am definately going to follow up on your suggestions
    Have a fantastic day
  • spootsspoots Member ✭✭
    edited October 29
    vonnie said:
    Thank you so very much for your detailed reply, I am definately going to follow up on your suggestions
    Have a fantastic day
    You're welcome!  My earlier extra suggestions (one of theSmall Isles, Plockton, Morar, Raasay, Inverness area) might not fit in to your trip, but if you do get an extra day then a visit to one of the Small Isles would fit in well with an extra night in Mallaig, Arisaig or on the isle.  One of Eigg or Rùm would be best.

Even without the boat trip, you could still probably get to visit the Silver Sands of Morar on the mainland.  The nearby Loch Morar is Scotland's deepest, and reputedly has a monster of its own!  Morar has a train station (not served by the steam trains), but there are also buses there.

As for Plockton, I imagine you could quite easily fit a trip in if you get off the train from Kyle.   At Kyle and Plockton (and probably Skye) there are seal-spotting trips by boat, and at Inverness there are trips out into the Moray Firth to see bottlenose dolphins!  

You won't be able to do everything mentioned on this thread so far on your trip.  That's the beauty of Scotland - there's so much to do and see, and in the best possible setting.  I hope you enjoy your trip :)

-Sam