Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Top 5 Creepy Places in Aberdeenshire

VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff

Aberdeenshire is full of creepy and haunted places!   Here are a few of my favourites!!  With Halloween coming up, what are your favourite creepy or haunted places in Aberdeenshire?  Have you got any good stories?  Share below!

His Majesty’s Theatre

Built in 1906, His Majesty’s theatre has been haunted by what is thought to be the ghost of ‘Jake’, a former employee who died at the theatre in 1942 in an unfortunate accident.  People have reported cold spots and seeing the figure of a man in a brown robe.  However, instead of scaring and terrorising people, Jake looks out for his colleagues and tries to help them out when they are in trouble, by opening doors, moving things and even giving them a guiding hand!

Fyvie Castle

A more sinister ghost calls Fyvie Castle home, The Green Lady.  Formerly the wife of Alexander Seton, Dame Lilias Drummond had given Seton 5 daughters but he wanted a male heir to carry the family name.  He started to indulge himself other women and locked Drummond in the tower where she eventually starved to death.  When Seton had chosen a new bride, on their wedding night they discovered “D. Lilias Drummond” carved on the wall, it can still be seen today.  It is thought whenever the Green Lady is seen, a tragedy happens in the family.

Balmoral Castle

There are several ghosts that haunt this residency of the Royal Family, but one stands out more than others.  It is believed to be the ghost of John Brown.  Brown was a servant to Queen Victoria.  He’s been seen wandering the corridors wearing his kilt by many a visitor, including Queen Elizabeth II!

Dunnottar Castle            

Whilst it is one of the most picturesque castles in Scotland, Dunnottar Castle has a darker history.  It was the site at which William Wallace slaughtered his English enemy by burning them alive.  Now, however, it plays residence to the Green Lady.  She was thought to be a servant girl who lived and died in the castle and can often be seen looking for her children.

Slains Castle Cruden Bay

Slains Castle was Bram Stoker’s favourite holiday destination and it is believed to be his inspiration for Count Dracula’s Castle.  Will you be brave enough to step foot into the place where Count Dracula was brought to life?

Comments

• ScathachScathach Member ✭✭
    Slains definitely tops it in terms of spookyness! I was there and even on a sunny day it still has that edge of dark and creepy place. Love it!
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2
    Absolutely LOVE Slains.  Dracula is one of my favourite books of all time.  My wee dog took some persuading to go inside the ruins and when he did the first thing we saw was a dead rodent staring up at us with a big chunk missing from its side!!

I find Corgarff Castle quite ominous too.  It has a dark history of murder and treachery.  Up close I feel as if it’s watching me!

The Lighthouse at Rattray Head is also a bit spooky.  It’s so isolated and it just stands there, looming out of the sea. I’d hate to spend a stormy night in it.

I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @Samantha_Grant Some great pics there!