Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Honeymoon

Hi all,

my fiancé and myself have book a week on loch long for our honeymoon and would love ideas of places to visit along the west coast. The more magical , romantic and full of history the better.

We also enjoy a bit of hiking so anywhere like that would be great also. Never done this side of Scotland so looking for anything really, days out, food, drink and a bit of local shopping

many thanks

Comments

• VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @Twink! I'm sure you'll have a great honeymoon in Scotland! 

If history is your thing then the village of Arrochar might interest you! It's full of Celtic history and the settlement was a key target for Viking raiders during the battle of Largs, not to mention it's breathtakingly beautiful with rocky summits, tall trees and deep lochs. 
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited October 20
    Hi @Twink !

I totally agree with @VisitScotlandAmanda about Arrochar at the northern end of Loch Long.  Although it's just a small village it's the starting point for hiking up The Cobbler, Beinn Narnairn or Beinn Ime which all provide spectacular views looking accross Loch Long and over to the northern section of Loch Lomond.  There are also plenty of wee pubs and bars in Arrochar where you can enjoy a romantic meal overlooking the Loch.  

The Argyll Forest Park lies on the western shore of Loch Long with some fantastic forest trails starting from Ardgartan, just a few miles west of Arrochar.  If you enjoy cycling, there are also some great mountain biking trails beginning here!  At the southern end of the Forest Park, Glenbranter is a haven for wildlife and you might even spot some red squirrels in the ancient oak woodlands. There's also an information room where you can find out about the amazing history of the Forest Park.  One of my favourite walks in this region is Pucks Glen which follows a series of small waterfalls through a deep chasm with steep mossy sides and winding steps. It's amazing! Just south of Puck's Glen lies the Benmore Botanic Gardens which are really impressive, especially the Victorian fernery and huge Giant Redwoods at the entrance. On your way down to the southen end of the forest the scenery is stunning!  I visited a few weeks back and the water of Loch Eck was so still, mirroring the dramatic craggy mountains and blue skies.  I also stopped off at The Creggans Inn at Stachur. If you are looking for a special meal, or if you love seafood, it's definitely a place to stop off.  The bar has amazing views looking over Loch Fyne to Inveraray and that day there were porpoises having fun in the loch.  

To the east of Loch Long lies Loch Lomond and it's probably one of the most magical, romantic and beautiful areas in Scotland....although I am biased as I live and work here!  :p   One of the most amazing walks in the area would be Conic Hill on the more remote eastern shore of Loch Lomond.  This is where the highlands of Scotland meets the lowlands and the views over the 'bonnie  banks' are incredible!  Luss is also a must see. It's a beautiful conservation village on the western shore of Loch Lomond which has remained the same for hundreds of years.  If you are interested in history check out the graveyard next to the church....there's an 11th century Viking hogback grave there and some of the stones date back to the 7th century.  Aslo, don't miss the heritage trail which follows the crystal clear Luss Water through an old slate quarry!  There are also plenty of shops, restaurants, hiking, boat trips and other activities in the Loch Lomond area...have a look at this section of our website!  You can also pop into Balloch iCentre where you will be able to pick up some free maps and guides for the region and advice about things to see and do in Scotland as well as the local area! :)

• MogMJMRMogMJMR Member ✭✭
    @Twink

Part of our Honeymoon was travelling 1st Class on the Jacobite Steam train....

We had a bit of an unconventional Honeymoon - we used the highland rover rail pass
    https://www.scotrail.co.uk/offers/travel-passes/highland-rover to travel Scotland

Glasgow - Fort William; Fort William - Mallaig; Ferry to Skye; bus and tour around Skye and stayed in Kyle (as the Island was so busy due to Portree Highland Games) then Train Kyle - Inverness and back home to Aberdeen.

All our travel was by public transport and accommodation very varied  - from small guest houses to premier inn to fancy hotels. 5 nights.

Was great - although perhaps not the honeymoon most folk are after!
    Mogmjmr
    Based in the Scottish Borders, Aberdeenshire has a special place in my heart.
  • Hi @ Twink. 
    First of all, congratulations on the engagement and the upcoming wedding!
    If you are staying on the eastern shore of Loch Long, in addition to the previous suggestion of visiting Loch Lommond, which is absolutely beautiful, I would also suggest that you visit Hill House in Helensburgh (not sure when your trip is booked, but the house will be closed over the winter months). Hill House is a beautifully designed house, inside and out, by Charles Rennie MacKintosh.
    If you are staying on the western shore, take a trip to Puck's Glen - it is a beautiful small valley with little waterfalls.
    Hope that helps.
  • SmidgeSmidge VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Hi @Twink

Congrats on your wedding! 

For hiking

You must climb The Cobbler - (walk here) its an easy walk up and very popular - its a great hill and one of Scotland's most famous. 

If you are thinking of some serious walking - i.e climbing a Munro (a Scottish mountain over 3,000ft) I recommend Ben Lomond, the views of the Loch are incredible.

You also get the same views from the smaller Conic Hill or Beinn Dubh.

Other suggestions

- Drive up the 'Rest and Be Thankful' (the A83, see Arrochar to Cairndow road) and visit the Fyne Ales Brewery - they have a lovely tasting room.

- Then visit the small town of Inverarary, where there is plenty to do including Inverarary Castle. The George Hotel in Inveraray is well reviewed for food. 

- Then from Inveraray you can't miss Loch Awe and the famous Kilchurn Castle. 

- a bit further afield in Argyll, I also love Crinan - I have a wee guide here on my blog. The village of Kilmartin on the way to Crinan has standing stones and brochs with a great visitor centre. 

Food wise i've heard excellent things about the Inver Restaurant, I've enjoyed a meal at the Lodge on Loch Lomond Restaurant (great views and £££ fine dining but not stuffy), Duck Bay on the Loch is always a favourite with people and the Village Inn in Arrochar has a nice bar and pub grub. 

If you like seafood don't miss out on a visit to Oban - seafood heaven here! 

Hope that helps :) 
    Kate - Scotland / outdoor blogger at Love From Scotland
    Climbs hills, takes pictures. Likes remotes places.
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

• TwinkTwink Member
    Hi everyone thank you so much, have written it all down ready for when we go. We're so excited x