Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Scottish highlights trip 2018

The last time I visited Scotland was some 50 years ago after passing my test and driving there from Wales in my Ford Anglia. I visited a number of places including Stirling the Isle of Arran and most of the Highlands including Aviemore. Unfortunately on my trip I was stricken with a serious flu bug which put me in bed for several days. But I will always remember the care and hospitality I received from my landlady. I am planning to visit Edinburgh next year and also Loch Lomond, Glen Coe, making my way to Skye for a weeks stay. I then plan to return by a different route South through the Highlands towards Perth and return South through Northumberland. I was looking for advice on interesting places to visit on the way that I would otherwise miss. By experience it is easy to miss places which would only take a slight detour. I am especially interested in finding lovely Scottish lochs as I am a keen watercolourist.

Comments

• What time of year are you planning to come up? As a painter and likely as obsessed with light as photographers are I'd recommend coming up in mid-September as you'll get some cracking light and the leaves are beginning to turn by then. It's my favourite time of year and has the bonus of being a little quieter. 

You're spoiled for choice for Lochs on your way up to Skye and one that springs to mind is Loch Garry on the road between Fort William and Skye. It's shaped like a map of Scotland and nestles nicely in among the trees and hills.

Another spot is Torskavaig on Skye, it's a relatively quiet bit of the Island on the Sleat peninsula and there's a great mix of little Glens and some superb views over to the Cuillin. 

• Hi @WalesPirate

Sounds like you are going to have a great trip. I’m sure you will love it.

My recommendations for some hidden gems along your journey would be:

Edinburgh – Rosslyn Chapel (20 minute car journey south of the city)

Loch Lomond – Loch Katrine (smaller, but more picturesque)

Glen Coe – Glen Etive (half way through Glencoe is a deadend road going through Glen Etive to Loch Etive. It is a one hour round trip. Scenes from the James Bond movie Skyfall were filmed there.

Skye – Quiraing, Castle Ewen Fairy Glen, Neist Point & Lighthouse, The Old Man of Storr, and The Fairy Pools.

Perth – take a detour to Queen’s View overlooking Loch Tummel.

Hope that helps!