Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

US Photographer 1st Time Travel to Scotland

Hello! I'm a photographer in the US planning to make my first trip to Scotland in the summer of 2018. I'm a single 31 year old female with no children (which is why it's time to go now!). I'm hoping to travel with a girlfriend, but she might not be able to take off work to make the 10 day trip that I'd like to make. I would like to fly into Edinburgh and then use AirBnB to travel around and see as much as I can. Couple of questions (to start off): 1. Is it safe for a single woman to travel around? 2. If I wanted to meet up with a model to photograph in the landscape, what's the best way to do that? 3. What's the number one place that MUST be photographed?
I'm an extrovert who would love to meet up with people. Are there any others in this group who might be planning to travel around the same time?
Thanks. :smile:
Tagged:

Comments

• fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @LolaDee, Great to hear about your first time trip to Scotland! Answers to your Question 1. Of course it is safe. There are not many places in the world that are safer than Scotland. You will be welcomed with open arms! Answer 2. Not sure what you mean by the question! Can you give a little more detail? Answer 3. Everything! :smiley: I mean it depends what you like to Photograph. There are hundreds of amazing castles and places of historic interest. The mountains, lochs, glens, cities, towns & attractions etc etc. You can go crazy with a camera in Scotland!
    I hope this has helped you out. Don't be afraid to ask any other questions. We are here to help you out.
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    Hey @LolaDee, for 2) I suggest you connect with a photographer friend of mine (also based in the US) who finds models in places he's travelling to and has done so for Scotland as well. This is his Instagram profile.

Rural Scotland is the safest and friendliest place in the world bar none. Its the only country where the locals have not shown any signs of treating me as an outsider even though I visibly am. Came across a fair number of solo female travellers from the US in my Scotland travels and all of them seemed to be having a good time.

For 3), my personal favourite is the Quiraing on Skye but as @fishypro
    said, I can easily rattle off 10 or even a 100 must-photograph place on Scotland. Natural light will be a luck of the draw though as the weather can only be predicted successfully 48 hours in advance and you may see all seasons in one day :smile: Do share your photos and experiences after your trip and feel free to follow up with any questions.
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
  • 1. Yep, definitely! I quite often have single travelers staying with us through AirBnb and I've not heard any bad reports so far. 

2. Best thing to do is connect in with a few of the local photography groups on facebook.  Highland Photographers  and Inverness Camera Club are good places to start . The latter usually have a few 'togs who are keen on portrait photography and would know where to get you started. 

3. Depends on the weather and the light! To be honest I would leave it till late September if you can, the autumn light is spectacular at this time of year and you'll find it a bit quieter if you want to set up shoots. On the flip sides cities like Edinburgh are brilliant for street photography or atmospheric grainy 35mm film shots :-) If you find yourself near Drumnadrochit then do feel free to give me a shout, my wife and I are always happy to show people the sights. 

For landscapes Glen Affric is local to me and I love getting out in that direction to take photos. 

• johnmurrayjnrjohnmurrayjnr Member ✭✭✭
    You got to catch The Kelpies at Sunset, I was lucky enough passing through the other night to get some gorgeous light :) Looking forward to your photos of Scotland! 

• LolaDeeLolaDee Member
    Thanks for all of the awesome input! My plans are evolving a bit to include a 4 or 5 day tour group. I'm still trying to find the best fit. So far, I've come across:  Rabbies, Haggis, MacBackpackers. Any other suggestions? 
    I'm really excited! I'm pretty set on traveling at the end of May - beginning of June. Looks like I'll definitely be solo. 
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @LolaDee our Touring and Road trips section might be useful for you also: https://community.visitscotland.com/categories/touring-and-road-trips
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • j2scotlandj2scotland Member ✭✭
    Hi there @LolaDee!  Another tour company you might want to consider is Timberbush Tours out of Edinburgh and Glasgow.  It sounds like a wonderful holiday and May/June is a great time to visit.
    Come by and say hello.  :) 
    Blog:  journeys2scotland.wordpress.com
    Instagram: journeys2scotland