Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

FISHING

Just trying to plan a trip to scotland for salmon fishing! Whats the best plan to just get a permit and go by ourselves there will be 6 of us, or to book a day with an expert.

Thanks in advance
Tagged:

Comments

• VisitScotlandSarahWVisitScotlandSarahW Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited October 8
    Hi @slh. It really depends on your level of experience and making sure you have the correct equipment. If in doubt, it would be a good idea to go with a guide. They will have specific local knowledge of the river you are fishing, therefore giving you the best opportunity for good catches. The River Dee in Aberdeenshire and the River Tay in Perthshire are very popular, and indeed world famous!

You may find this website useful, it provides a detailed guide to Scottish salmon fishing, particularly in regarding to how, where and when you can fish.

I hope this helps with your planning, I'm sure other community members will be able to provide suggestions too.  :)
  • MogMJMRMogMJMR Member ✭✭
    @slh; @VisitScotlandSarahW Here in Peebles we have a couple of publicly owned salmon beats, with fishing starting on The River Tweed from just £45 a day - tickets from the leisure centre.

I find http://www.fishpal.com/ really useful  - there you can browse options, guides and costs and even purchase some permits online.

Mogmjmr
    Based in the Scottish Borders, Aberdeenshire has a special place in my heart.