Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Perthshire's Hidden Gems

VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
Perthsire is a beautiful area of Scotland with many stories to tell, which of these hidden gems have you been to, and is there any more that you can think of?

Dewar’s Aberfeldy Distillery

Built in 1898, it is the only Dewar’s distillery in the world.  Why not take a tour of this combination of classic Scottish tradition and modern technology.  Have a dram and a wander around the gift shop after your tour, or even pour your own unique blend of whisky!

The Black Watch Castle

This castle and museum tells the story of the elite Scottish military regiment dating back almost three centuries.  Enjoy the museums displays and explore the castle before having a bite to eat in the café.  A great family day out.

The Bothy

A traditional Scottish restaurant that serves hearty food you’ll remember from growing up and a classy bistro all in one. All of the Bothy’s produce is Scottish which gives a really nice patriotic feel to the place.   Who’s feeling peckish?!

Concorde Music

Founded in 1967, it is one of Scotland’s oldest vinyl record stores.  Vinyls, CDs and everything you can think of music wise, Concorde Music will have it!  Covering all genres and eras Concorde Music is a hit for any music fan.

Meikleour Beech Hedge

This is no ordinary hedge!  It’s the longest hedge in Britain and the tallest hedge of its kind in the world.  Thought to have been planted by men who fought in the Jacobite Rebellion, the Meiklour Beech Hedge is one of Perthshire’s more unusual beauties.

Fortingall Yew Tree

This tree is thought to be one of the oldest living things in Europe at approximately somewhere between 3,000 and 9,000 years old.  It is located within the Fortingall Churchyard.  After a visit to the tree, you could take a walk along the beautiful main street of Fortingall.

Comments

• VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I have seen the Fortingall Ewe Tree - it's awesome! I love Perthshire, it's not far from Edinburgh and has great things to see and do. Lots of walking too!!  :)
  • Stefano_1988Stefano_1988 Member ✭✭
    I visited Perthshire last June, I spent two days in Perth (I went to Black Watch Castle, simply amazing!) and then I moved to Pitlochry, a fascinating victorian town located in the heart of the region. It's the perfect place where to stay and then discovering the surroundings by car or public transport as well (as I did).

Three personal recommendations are Huntingtower Castle, Black Spout Wood in Pitlochry and the Falls of Bruar.

I fell in love with Perthshire and I look forward to visiting it soon!
  • VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Ossian's Hall at The Hermitage, Dunkeld

This sheltered structure is hidden away amongst the tall Douglas Fir trees and the roar of water from the River Braan.

First built in 1757, it was revamped in 1783 and named Ossian's Hall. It was decorated with artworks and mirrors in which you could view the cascading Black Linn waterfall from all angles.

It was all but destroyed in 1869 and left to decay. In 1943 it was gifted to National Trust for Scotland and restored to its former glory. For me, this is an idyllic hidey-hole to enjoy the drama of the waterfall without getting too wet.