Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Visit - Isle of Islay

Hello,

could you give me some advice? I want to arrange holiday for me and my husband as surprise. He loves whisky as Laphroig or Talisker and I want to get him to Isle of Islay.  I have to find the most cheaper way how we can get to Isle of Islay from Edinburg. Do you have some tip for me? Thank you.

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    Hey @Petissska, am assuming driving is out of the question. You'll have to reserve an entire day of travel each to go and come back by public transport to visit Islay. The cheapest way is to take a train to Glasgow Queen Street (with an off-peak return ticket), a bus from Glasgow to Kennacraig Ferry terminal and a ferry from Kennacraig Ferry terminal to Port Ellen (takes 7 hours end to end best case). Laphroaig is a short bus ride / sub 30 min coastal walk from Port Ellen. I estimate the journey to cost about £40 end-to-end each way.

Use GoogleMaps to plan your trip and do not assume a schedule for a given date is valid for other dates. Visit ScotRail for rail info, Citylink for bus info, CalMac for ferry info and Argyll Council for Islay bus timetables.
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)