Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Scottish Highlands for the 80+ visitor.

Hi all,

I am very much hoping that you can help/advise me, as I am not having much luck Googling stuff so far! My Mum has heard me rave about how wonderful the Scottish Highlands are for such a long time and when we came back from our family holiday (staying just outside Inverness) in August she decided that she would really like to plan a holiday to the Highlands in spring/early summer 2018.

The problems I am having are that my Mum is nearly 85 years old and has some health/mobility issues - she wouldn't feel confident hiring a car and would prefer a fairly chilled tour guide holiday style if possible. Some of the coach tours are okay, but they can be very frantic. Also my Dad died in December 2016, so my Mum is hoping that one of her friends (similar age & some mobility issues) will be joining her as company.

My plan is to book a taxi to collect her & friend from Inverness Airport and take them to their hotel.

I am busy searching for suitable hotels that do half-board, have lift access to bedrooms and have single rooms (or no single room supplements) - any suggestions most welcome!

I am then looking for a company that have tour guides that either do tours by car or use small mini-buses for smaller groups. This would need to be something suitable for little old ladies - we loved walking in the Cairngorms National Park, they couldn't do this, but instead would need driving along with someone showing them the sights! It would be great if they could have the opportunity of day-trips out - the tourist route around Loch Ness, a visit to Dunrobin Castle, a visit to Fort George, a visit to Cairngorm Mountain to go up in the cable car, etc... I just really don't know how to plan all of this for her and desperately need some advice about this!

I know that this is a HUGE ask, but I really am stuck here, so if anyone has got any suggestions I would really appreciate your help.

Thank LOADS,

Cathy :smile:

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    @YourScotlandTour may be able to help :smile:
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
  • VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited September 27
    Hey @Cathyplus2!  I had a wee look online and found this really cool monorail tour of the Cairngorms, not too sure if this is the kind of thing you're looking for but thought it was quite unique and interesting!  You can have a look for yourself here.

I also compiled a search on our website for Hotels in Inverness, unfortunately, there isn't a half-board search option but if you spot one that you fancy I'm sure you will be able to find out if they provide half board from the descriptor on our website or if you used a tool such as booking.com or Tripadvisor!  You can have a gander at the search here.
  • YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @Cathyplus2 I'd be delighted to help :)
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk