Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

The Stone Circles of Aberdeenshire

Did you know that the North East of Scotland can boast of almost 100 ‘Recumbent Stone Circles’, and that this area, along with the south-west of Ireland, is the only place in the world that you can visit this type of prehistoric site? No? Well, neither did I until we visited three of these recumbent stone circles in Aberdeenshire. Our trip also included a 'normal' stone circle and a Pictish stone as well. We have written a blog post on our adventure . We'd love for you to read it and tell us what you think. Please find the link below.

https://www.tailormadeitineraries.com/single-post/2017/09/19/Meet-the-Flintstones

Comments

• VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @tailoritineraries_1!  I love your blog about the Recumbant Stone Circles! :)  It's been a long time since I visited these...I must go back soon!! :) 
  • Hi @VisitScotlandAngela, glad you enjoyed the blog. I have a feeling we only scratched the surface of stone circles!  :o
  • ParsmanParsman Member ✭✭
    If you are visiting the stone circles in Aberdeenshire there is good information on the Aberdeenshire Council website. Also about the Pictish stones in the area. If you are on a quick visit and want to see Pictish stones, the Rhynie Man is in the entrance foyer of Aberdeenshire Council HQ in the city of Aberdeen. Also there are two sites within the town of Inverurie, in the churchyard and at the Brandsbutt stone. The Picts used to dominate all of Scotland north of the Forth/Clyde line and there is alsoo a Pictish trail in Angus (Pictavia web-site) and there are impressive remains at Burghead on the Moray coast. The circles are a little more difficult, mostly lying in remote locations in the countryside, and it is best if you have a car to visit them.
  • Many thanks @Parsman, great info. So much interesting ancient history here in Aberdeenshire.