Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

What's your favourite Scotch whisky?

VisitScotlandNikkiVisitScotlandNikki Administrator, VisitScotland Staff
edited May 2016 in Eating and drinking
Whisky is wonderful stuff but it's well worth diving deeper and visiting a distillery in person - as well as trying a dram (or two...) you can see how they craft their unique single malts and whisky blends, and often learn a secret or two about their methods.

Scotland's lucky enough to have five whisky regions which are all really diverse - meaning no two whiskies taste the same!

What distilleries would you recommend are worth a visit?

If you've never visited one, then why not plan a trip there? Check out our interactive whisky eBook for all the info you need!

Comments

• TheChaoticScotTheChaoticScot VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Highland Park 15 is my favourite whisky, so I loved visiting the distillery when I was on Orkney in 2014.

The Isle of Arran Distillery has to be one of the prettiest distilleries in Scotland, and is still relatively new and small scale. The distillery tour is delivered by friendly, knowledgeable staff and uses fantastic video footage to educate visitors about the process. The Arran 14 is my favourite, and those with a sweet tooth will enjoy the Arran Gold Cream Liqueur. 

<3 whisky!

Follow my adventures on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram 

Have a wee nosey at my blog  

Former tour guide and current blether. Edinburgh girl whose <3 is in the Scottish Islands. Talk to me about scenic walks, photography, places to eat, public transport, exciting adventures and history  :)
  • VisitScotlandIntroVisitScotlandIntro Administrator
    Fantastic shots @TheChaoticScot. I have to agree on Highland Park, as it was the first whisky I ever tasted (on a distillery tour no less). It's still the benchmark for me.

• Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a complete whisky ignaramus. I did try to cultivate a taste for it when on Islay a couple of years ago but one 10 year Bowmore was enough for me. Maybe too peaty a start. I did leave Islay with a taste for Bruichladdie's Botanist Gin though. :D I'm going to the Edinburgh Whisky Solstice this weekend and hoping to not only learn something but also to develop a better appreciation of my national drink.  
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• FofomaFofoma Member ✭✭✭
    My husband is the expert in our family...he is exceptionally fond of a Speyside Malt and is building up quite a collection! Personally...I love the smell but I have never cultivated a taste for it despite being a distillery tour guide in a former life! I have been on a few tours though and two I enjoyed were Glen Grant and The Edradour.
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Just back from the 2016 Edinburgh Whisky Solstice and I had a great time.  I may finally have developed an appreciation of my national drink. I've also developed an overwhelming desire to return to beautiful Islay - it was so close I could quite literally smell it in the room.  Of the whiskies I sampled today I loved The Hive a blend of malt whiskies from Wemyss Malts. From That boutique-y whisky Company a 27 year old single malt distilled at Mortlach, Dufftown and from Elements of Islay, Peat a blend from 3 top secret Islay distilleries. Still don't know my blends from my single malts but I was chuffed I could actually taste honey, citrus and smoke from my various samples.  Now to write a blog to show off all my newly acquired knowledge!!!
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• travelswithakilttravelswithakilt VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    It's not for everyone but if smoky, peaty whisky works for you then Islay is the place to go. Here's my look at the top spots over there:

http://www.locomotionscotland.co.uk/scottish-routes-islay-whisky-tour/

Scotland travel blogger and writer with a wee bit of photography and video thrown in. Love nothing more than exploring my home country and have a particular leaning towards the outdoors, history and our national drink.

You can also find me on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Tumblr.
  • MIKEGRISTMIKEGRIST Member
    My Favourite Whisky is Talisker. Beautiful malt , produced on the Isle of Skye. The Distillery is well worth a visit.
  • VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I was not a fan of whisky, but then I went on the Scotch Whisky Experience tour in Edinburgh and found out there were some more mellow-tasting whiskies. I now can appreciate a glass of neat Glenkinchie with a drop of water added.
  • LeodhasachLeodhasach Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I'm a relatively recent convert to whisky and now have a very healthy collection in the house. I'm a big fan of the Orkney malts, Scapa and Highland Park are lovely and a good intro whisky if folk aren't sure of trying the stronger peaty malts. There's a mystery Islay malt called Smokehead (it comes in a metal tin with a skull on, right up my street!) that's rumoured to be a version of Ardbeg but they keep it a secret. It's potent and the flavour just keeps happening. It's a real treat if you like the smokier/peaty malts. 

For music reviews and previews in Inverness and the Highlands: http://invernessgigs.co.uk/
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/@leodhasach
  • bcedinburghbcedinburgh Member ✭✭
    I love a little known malt called Mortlach - from Speyside. A sweet and spicy flavour and a cute wee visitor centre at Dufftown   www.mortlach.com

• EileanDonanEileanDonan Member ✭✭
    Balvennie 17yo Doublewood! It's 12yo younger brother is good, but the 17yo is sheer nectar of the gods!
  • Tmo63Tmo63 Member
    Oban; 18yo Drummore and the Islays....16yo Lagavulin; or Bruichladdich; or Cuil Isla; or a lowland 18yo Springbank if you can get one.
  • HannaniteHannanite Member ✭✭
    Don't drink much whisky but might drink more of the cratur after discovering Glen Scotia's Double Cask at the weekend. Very smooth.
  • ArgyllCoffeeGodArgyllCoffeeGod Member ✭✭
    Hard to pick a favourite as it changes from time to time as a new one hits the palate!  Right now I would have to go with the Aberlour A'bunadh, a malt rich with Sherry notes and a powerful hit but not so powerful as to compromise the flavour.

Recently I was given a bottle of Glendronach 18yo Allardice and by coincidence I opened it last night and it is simply amazing! 

I always think that if you imagine a whisky flavour then anything by Highland Park is simply the way it should taste.  If you want the peat then Caol Ila is always a go to drink.  Quality no matter the style but for a no age statement whisky then their Moch is a lovely drop!
    Befuddled, bemused & occasionally talking sense.
  • ZubenelgenubiZubenelgenubi Member ✭✭
    I'm not a whisky drinker but I do have ambitions to become one :D Having said that I took a visit to Glenturret Distillery http://www.theglenturret.com/ to buy a couple of nice miniatures to put into the Quaich at my wedding. 

Really nice setting and worth a visit. I didn't have time to do the tour but the cafe/restaurant is very nice. 
    Awaiting arrival of witty signature.
  • IreneGIreneG Member ✭✭
    I'm not a whisky drinker ! My husband is and his favourites are  The Islay Malts Bunnahabhain , Lagavulin , Laphroig ,Bruichladdich.Kilchoman Malt is produced on a small distillery on a farm ! Interesting to go and see the production here . If you prefer a light malt then you may like to visit Glengoyne Distillery at Dumgoyne near Killearn A unique distillery as the stills are in the Highlands and across the road are the whisky bonds which are situated in the Lowlands . This makes for a very interesting visit to this distillery and to experience The Glengoyne Single Malt ! 
  • johnmurrayjnrjohnmurrayjnr Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    At the moment it's Weymss Malts Peat Chimney sold at Kingsbarns Distillery (as well as many other places).
  • DianaMeganDianaMegan Member
    Here's my dilemma: I hear that it won't be as easy as to stuff my suitcase with all of these great bottles when we come to visit in July. Is there a way for me to pick up bottles at some of the distilleries mentioned and bring back more than one or two to the states? Can anyone help me find the most thorough guidance on how to bring home my special finds ? I found this link, which makes me think I'll be taxed $2.14 US per bottle on the way back to Georgia but is there a secondary tax on the Scotland side?  The last thing I'd want is to pick up a special scotch in Islay to have it taken at customs.
  • fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    I like a lot of different Whiskies. I have over 40 Single malts in my little collection. Here is a photo of just some of them. My favourite is Linkwood 12 year old.

Best regards
    fishypro
  • I cannot wait to visit and try some of these!
    I've grown up drinking Bourbon (Kentucky Whiskey) and am so excited to branch out a bit!

• YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    Whisky is a vast subject. @fishypro - nice collection :-) have a look for smws too ;-)
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk