Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

What's your favourite castle in Scotland?

VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff

We're so spoiled for choice in Scotland with castles to visit. If you were recommending a castle to someone visiting here for the first time, where would you tell them to go?

I still don't know the answer to this question (so many to choose from!) so I'm cheating and just sharing the two I've been to most recently. Tantallon in North Berwick (top pic) and Inveraray Castle (bottom pic) were both gasp worthy to explore! And as you can see I was pretty spoiled with the weather on both days too!

Share your pics below! Bonus points for any fun facts you can throw in too :)
Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
Instagram
Tagged:

Comments

• VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I've never been but come on, seriously, how cool is Dunnottar Castle?!  It's also one of Scotland's haunted ones too!  Spooooooooooky

• FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Kellie Castle is a smashing castle, nestled away in Fife. 

Fun fact: I live in the gatehouse to a castle that Robert Lorimer (Scottish arcitect) designed. His family restored Kellie castle. 

The gardens are also stunning and the have alpaca in the grounds too! 

Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    My answer does not need more than a picture. It's location, views and good looks are special.

We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
  • VisitScotlandPatriciaVisitScotlandPatricia Member, Moderator
    Stirling Castle is very Interesting  and like Edinburgh Castle is steeped in History. Dunnottor Castle with views onto the North Sea is amazing. 
  • There are so many it's impossible to pick just one! Dunnottar is on my 'must see' list but I haven't got there yet. Huntly Castle is very interesting for a ruin - lots of history attached.
  • spootsspoots Member ✭✭
    Well this is difficult.

I'd love to some day go to Dunnottar Castle.  I've also never been to the castles at Stirling, Dumbarton, Kisimul, Inveraray or Eilean Donan, and I've been past the spectacle that is Dunrobin Castle many times on the train but have never actually been there.

Edinburgh Castle is fantastic, obviously - but then so is the Palace of Linlithgow.  Obviously Tantallon is up there, as is Dirleton Castle, near Gullane.  Noltland Castle I've always had had a soft spot for, but I doubt it would hold its own against the competition.

So instead here's a list of some of the castles I'd love to visit:

Urquhart Castle
    Dunnottar Castle
    Dumbarton Castle
    Inveraray Castle
    Eilean Donan Castle
    Kisimul Castle
    Cawdor Castle
    Dunvegan Castle
    Craigievar Castle
    Dunrobin Castle

• ZigZagZigZag Member
    Not an easy one  :)
    I really enjoyed Inveraray. I love the green of the walls and the walk under the trees. It is very photogenic.
    And for ruins, I was impressed by Girnigoe. There was something special about the situation and the cliff.
    Claire, sharing the beauty of the world at ZigZag On Earth
    Plan an unforgettable Road Trip with my free Scotland Travel Guide full of pictures
    Version Française : Guide de Voyage en Ecosse