Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

How can I find passenger shipping companies in Ayr during the 1700's? My ancestor was a captain.

I French Canadian and searching to find my European roots.  My ancestor was a ship's captain in the 1780's bringing Scots to Nova Scotia.  I cannot find his birth records. 

Answers

• VisitScotlandAlisonVisitScotlandAlison Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hello,  this is not my geographical area, but a good place to start might be Ayrshire Archives which is a local council run facility.  www.ayrshirearchives.org.uk  Tel: 01292 521819
     Email: archives@south-ayrshire.gov.uk .    They might also be able to point you in the direction of other sources of information. 
    https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ is a great resource too, if you haven't already tried it.  Birth records were not introduced officially until the 19th Century but there are parish church baptism registers going further back which are accessible on-line (for a fee) .  
     All the best with your search for your Scottish ancestors!  
  • VisitScotlandMarinaVisitScotlandMarina Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Welcome @Seeker
    I would suggest maybe trying the Local History department at Ayr Library, the staff there are very helpful. Also you could contact  Ayr Port - they might have some records there. Good Luck!!