Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

visiting scotland in november

Hi, I'm planning a trip of 10 days in november by car with my sister.
My dream is see the "Mirrie Dancers" and we'll try it! so the plan is:

1. Edinburgh (some days)
2. St Andrews and take the coast road up to Aberdeen
3. Aberdeen to Inverness
4. Inverness to Skye through the bridge spend there 2 days 
5. Skye to Fort William by ferry - Glencoe to the way Aberfeldy and take the Perthsire route (long trip wanted to stop Lock Lomond - Doune-Stirling)
6. Glasgow -- home

Not sure if it's a good idea to avoid some parts of the route and go up to Ullapool, but in november I'm afraid to have not nice weather conditions up there to drive (I read something somewhere).

During the route we have differnts points to stop like Plodda falls and a brewery in Inverness (I love it!) and obviously a lot of castles.

Any recommendation it will be very gratefull it's our first time in Scotland!

Thanks a lot, I continue searching and reading...

Mire

Comments

• VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @mire!

Your plans sound great and you will be travelling through some of the most beautiful scenery in Scotland.  Check out this section of our website about road trips.  It may be of use to you as you will be travelling on many of the featured routes and it may give you an idea of what to see and do along each section of your journey.  :)

I am from Aberdeenshire and have been lucky enough to see the Mirrie Dancers quite a few times.  I now live at the southern end of Loch Lomond and I have also seen them here.  While you are in Scotland keep an eye on the Aurora Watch UK website which provides alerts as to when you might be more likely to see the aurora.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! :)
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @mire make sure you check out all our Christmas Winter Festival events too as we have lots of fun stuff happening around the country in November! 
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • Hi Mire, your trip sounds great and I am sure that you will have a fantastic time.

November weather can be a bit difficult here in Scotland, especially on the west coast, but sometimes that can bring out the best in the scenery. I have been up to Ullapool many times, and the road can be very difficult during the winter, so it may be best to see what the weather is like nearer the time before you make a definite decision to go. It may also be best to make sure that accommodation is available and not closed for the season.

My recommendations would be as follows:

Edinburgh: The National Museum of Scotland; Edinburgh Castle; The Royal Mile; St. Giles Cathedral; Holyroodhouse; and try one of the many Ghost Tours!

Aberdeen: The Maritime Museum; the Gordon Highlanders Museum; Duthie Park and the Winter Gardens; Aberdeen beach and the village of Fittie.

Near Inverness: Culloden Battlefield; Loch Ness & Urquhart Castle.

Skye: Quirang; Neist Point & Lighthouse; The Old Man of Storr; Portree Harbour.

Glasgow: Kelvingrove Art Gallery & Museum; The Riverside Museum of Transport; The Necropolis; Glasgow Cathedral.

Also, when driving through Glencoe, take the road to Glen Etive (where they filmed some of the James Bond movie Skyfall) – you won’t regret it!