Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Solo trip to Scotland July 2018

I've been wanting to return to Scotland for years now (been to Edinburgh a few years back), and now I really intend to plan it out so I can go! I'll be travelling alone and that's the reason that I'm not too keen on hiring a car. I've never driven on the left before and if you don't have someone with you as a second pair of eyes I think it's difficult.
So, I'd like to take public transport. I've already seen that it's doable if I plan ahead. I think 8 days is going to be my maximum stay.

What I was thinking was:
-Flying up to Glasgow and start from there. Since I've seen Edinburgh before, that's not a priority right now.

What I really want to see is: Stirling, Inverness (Culloden, the cairns), Fort William, Glencoe and if possible Skye.
Would that be something I can do in eight days?
I thought that a sort of roundtrip would be okay, since I can start up from Glasgow to Stirling (I would try to do that in the first day, so I can stay over at Stirling), spend time in Stirling and leave for Inverness. Then possibly on to Skye, Fort William and downwards again towards Glasgow. I have no idea if it's too harsh of a schedule to pull off and if I even would get everywhere. I've looked up that I can get to the larger destination I want to visit and since I don't need to drive I can rest on train/bus?

Also, as a female solo traveller, are hostels to recommend? Or Airbnb? I've usually stayed in hotels but I don't think I have the budget for those.

Still starting this search out and so many questions, any help is more than welcome :).

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    Hey @Adsagsona, your itinerary is most certainly doable as I have done a flavour of it 3 times in the last 4 years by public transport alone (one such trip ended just 2 weeks back). Here is an example itinerary for 1-week that I've documented with train / bus times. TravelineScotland & Google Maps are my go-to planning tools (but they aren't correct 100%, just most of the time).

There's a couple of critical points. You need to pre-book tours you want to take well before hand. A must-do for me (even though I've done it 3 times) is doing an Isle of Skye daytrip (Skye Scenic tours is my operator of choice). Most of the top things to see on Skye are almost impossible to reach by public transport and this daytrip leaves you satisfied IMO.

Another critical point is to pre-book stay especially for places like Skye (which gets full in the summer). I'd recommend perusing the SYHA and the SiH websites to see what works best for you (not too far from public transport, etc). AirBnbs will be cheaper than hotels for sure but also look at VisitScotland's accommodation website and Roomfinder Scotland.

Lastly, be prepared for wind and rain. Cannot stress this enough for anyone visiting Scotland. :smile: As you are a solo-traveller, you can choose to be flexible if you see the forecast turning sour (I had once gone to Orkney because the Outer Hebrides weather was bad).

I'll be happy to assist you in any form to plan your trip, if needed. I can also link you to all sorts of public transport timetables that I have used to plan my own trips.
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
  • AdsagsonaAdsagsona Member ✭✭
    Thank you so much for the information! I read your itinerary post before and there's certainly things in there I want to do. I read about the day tour you did to the Orkney Islands and now that's in my head to do lol. 
    They Sky tour also seems very nice as I didn't know how to get around the island to be honest.
    I am prepared for the climate. I'm from Belgium so we know a thing or two about wind and rain :smiley:.
    I'm going through some of the things tonight and see if I can stuff everything in 8 days, otherwise it'll probably turn out to ten. I might leave out something for a later date if I get to visit the Orkneys instead :). I'll keep you posted!
    Cool, if you have some excess money, I would suggest taking a flight to say Orkney. But as you're looking for hostels, I would not quite recommend that.

For some more info, here is the 1-week itinerary that I just did

Sat afternoon : Glasgow - Oban by train
    Sunday : 3 isles daytrip from Oban run by West Coast Tours
    Monday morning: Oban - Ballachulish by bus (Glencoe daytrip in the afternoon)
    Tuesday morning: Ballachulish - Portree by bus (chilled out the rest of the day)
    Wednesday: Skye day tour with Skye Scenic tours
    Thursday morning: Portree - Eilean Donan castle. Get back to Kyle of Lochalsh by afternoon. Take afternoon train to Inverness.
    Friday: Loch Ness trip by bus and Cairngorms trip to Carrbridge and Aviemore by train.
    Saturday afternoon: Train to Edinburgh

Quite a busy week but we saw so much! 10 days is ample time for exploration if the weather is nice (which for us was unbelievably good)

This is what I have now after doing a bit of more research on the transport schedule.
    For now I looked at flights to Edinburgh since it's easier for me to fly to there.

Day 1: Fly to Edinburgh, then take bus to Stirling
    Day 2: Stirling, then onto Inverness
    Day 3: Orkney Islands Tour
    Day 4: Culloden, Cairns and then to Portree
    Day 5: Skye Day tour
    Day 6: Portree - Fort William (maybe to Glencoe and back)
    Day 7: Fort William - Glasgow
    Day 8: Glasgow - Edinburgh - home

Now that I write it I'm thinking that leaving from Glasgow is easier lol.

Excess money I sadly enough do not have :). Is Eilean Donan castle interesting? Would I be able to go there and then on to Fort William? Not trying to go to Glencoe then.
    I think Stirling castle is a great castle to visit. Eilean Donan is very pretty to look at and shoot (my pic below) but it doesn't have too much to see inside. If you prefer nature over castles, I'd pick seeing Glencoe (lost valley or 3 sisters) over Eilean Donan castle (you can see it if you sit on the right side window of the bus, so yes you can get off on the way to Fort William).

Note that the Glencoe Visitor centre is not the stop you need to get off at, ask to be dropped off at the 3 sisters or the lost valley (whichever you'd prefer). The visitor centre view is ok at best compared to the other 2.

I'm a bit confused in how to get from and to Portree. The journeyplanner gives me buses (I guess with the bridge they can drive straight into Portree?) but there's also a train available, no?
    @Adsagsona No direct train route I am afraid (Skye has no trains), the train route is the Glasgow - Mallaig (train) - Armadale (ferry) - Portree (2 buses, sometimes direct). It takes longer but is actually worth it. It is easy to do on the way back to Glasgow from Portree on a weekday. 9:05 AM bus 52 direct to Armadale from Portree, should get the 10:30 AM ferry to Mallaig and then a long leisurely lunch before catching the 4 PM train to Glasgow.

edited December 8
    Ok, so a few months on I have a more set planning for this trip. I think I'll manage everything although I might be more tired going home than leaving haha :smile:

Day 1: Fly to Glasgow - take train to Stirling
    Day 2: Take train to Inverness
    Day 3: Day trip Orkney Islands
    Day 4: Culloden + Clava Cairns - bus to Portree
    Day 5: Isle of Skye day tour
    Day 6: Portree - Fortwilliam by bus
    Day 7: Take train Fortwilliam to Glasgow
    Day 8: Fly home

Stirling: I'd love to see the Wallace monument and Stirling castle, I've also read about the abbey (can't remember the name right now). If you don't actually go into the visitor centre at Bannockburn, is it still interesting? Or give it a pass to just wander around Stirling?

Inverness: I'll probably have some time left to wander Inverness on day 2, some tips on what to visit? (probably outside visiting hours so... just sights :smile: )
    Also, I know I can take a bus to Culloden visitor's centre, but is there another for the cairns, or is that on foot? 

Day 6 I'm doubting what to do. Either stay longer in Portree and then take the bus to Fort William, or take the bus in the morning and hop on the train to Mallaig... or take the bus to Glencoe. Too many choices!

Day 7 Fort William to Glasgow is quite the trip, but I'll have an afternoon in Glasgow. Some thing I really need to see there? Like top of the line for a first time visitor?

And a general question: is it wise to book the day trip tickets beforehand? Because I'm guessing it could be busy in July but what if the weather isn't great?

Thanks for any input! :smiley:
    @Adsagsona book your Skye day trip now and hope for the best weather. A similar recommendation for a daytrip to Glencoe, only go if it is not raining, keep an option open. Also, pack food / any seasickness tablets for the Orkney daytrip as you'll need both.

Horizons said:
    @Adsagsona book your Skye day trip now and hope for the best weather. A similar recommendation for a daytrip to Glencoe, only go if it is not raining, keep an option open. Also, pack food / any seasickness tablets for the Orkney daytrip as you'll need both.
    Ok, so leaving a maybe for Glencoe and booking the day trips. Also good tip on the seasickness tablets, I didn't think of those. Thank you!
  • FurrybootsCityFurrybootsCity Member ✭✭
    Adsagsona said:

Inverness: I'll probably have some time left to wander Inverness on day 2, some tips on what to visit? (probably outside visiting hours so... just sights :smile: )
    Also, I know I can take a bus to Culloden visitor's centre, but is there another for the cairns, or is that on foot? 

Hi @Adsagsona

Amazing to hear about your detailed plans for visiting Scotland!

Regarding Inverness sights, I would enjoy the walks by the River Ness, it affords views of Inverness Castle and the city centre as well, very pretty location. Up at Inverness Castle you have an elevated vantage point of parts of the city. I always enjoy looking northwards towards Ben Wyvis, a munro on the Black Isle, north of Inverness. By the castle you can see the statue of Flora Macdonald facing outwards looking in the direction of the Isle of Skye. You could also enjoy the Town House of Inverness, which has recently been refurbished! 

I always enjoy being in the City of Inverness so I hope you enjoy your visit there too and to Scotland as a whole! :)
    Adsagsona said:

Hi @Adsagsona

Amazing to hear about your detailed plans for visiting Scotland!

Regarding Inverness sights, I would enjoy the walks by the River Ness, it affords views of Inverness Castle and the city centre as well, very pretty location. Up at Inverness Castle you have an elevated vantage point of parts of the city. I always enjoy looking northwards towards Ben Wyvis, a munro on the Black Isle, north of Inverness. By the castle you can see the statue of Flora Macdonald facing outwards looking in the direction of the Isle of Skye. You could also enjoy the Town House of Inverness, which has recently been refurbished! 

I always enjoy being in the City of Inverness so I hope you enjoy your visit there too and to Scotland as a whole! :)
    Thank you so much for the help and information! I've always wanted to see more of Scotland but I never got around to it and decided that this time I'm not going to make excuses and just do it :smile:
    The river I was certainly go and see, but I didn't know about the sights from the Castle, so thank you!
  • ParsmanParsman Member ✭✭
    Sorry to butt in, it looks like you were heading to Skye and Portree from Inverness and there is a train service from Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh and then catch local buses to Portree, if you want to make the trip that way.
    Parsman said:
    Sorry to butt in, it looks like you were heading to Skye and Portree from Inverness and there is a train service from Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh and then catch local buses to Portree, if you want to make the trip that way.
    Hi, you're not butting in, thank you for the info :smile:
    I know there is a train going as well, but then I'll need to leave Inverness very early and I want to visit Culloden that day. I should (if the timetables don't change) have a bus going right up to Portree leaving at around 5pm in Inverness. Reason for the bus :smiley: