Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Rosslyn Castle, Roslin, Edinburgh

DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
Hello everyone

I recently visited the historical Rosslyn Chapel in Roslin and also found out about Rosslyn Castle!

I was so excited to see this! You can walk down from the chapel to the ruins, but the house part is private. You can rent this out though via the Landmark Trust. What an amazing place to stay for a week or longer!

There are beautiful walks around Roslin Glen, deep below the castle ruins, but I sadly never got a chance to explore this area.

Well worth a visit, as is Rosslyn Chapel! More photos and information on my blog if you fancy a look :).

I blog about places I've explored in Scotland on Love Exploring Scotland  <3
Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagramVimeo or YouTube :)

Comments

• FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    I have also recently discovered and visited Rosslyn Chapel. Really pretty chapel with so much history and the stone carvings are stunning. 
    As a photographer I was slightly disappointed that I photographs are not allowed inside but definitely worth a visit. 
    Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Great photo - It's years since I've been but it's a lovely place. What a house that would be sitting amongst the castle ruins. Love the chapel too. Those carved pillars are stunning.  I think I'm long overdue another visit soon. @DMWScotland
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Thanks @Samantha_Grant! I was pleasantly surprised when I visited as it was a more of a day out for my mum. I'd definitely go back as there are lots of walks in the area. The castle ruin was a surprise I never expected either! It was like walking in the woods, then all of a sudden you find this hidden place and the most amazing feeling you get. I like moments like that. The nice side of expect the unexpected :).
  • JoolshornetJoolshornet Member ✭✭
    I've stayed in the castle after a wedding in The Original pub in Roslin.  Felt like a journey back in time to the 1920s from the furniture and was amazing to explore inside.  Rosslyn Chapel may be small but it's packed with so much interesting stonework that you can spend lots of time staring in awe around you.  I used to live in the area so have walked the country park lots over the years - great place to pick brambles for home-made jam when in season as well.
  • WinnieWinnie Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    @DMWScotland - totally agree, I visited Rosslyn Chapel with my Mum and Aunt last month. What a fantastic experience. We stayed and listened to one of the guides giving a talk about the history of the Chapel and it really brought the place to life. The cafe at the visitor centre was busy so we opted to drive to the Secret Herb Garden which is only 5 minutes away http://secretherbgarden.co.uk/
  • DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    I loved the talk in the chapel too @Winnie :). The tour guide we listened to was/is a really good storyteller. I'll need to visit the Secret Herb Garden the next time too! I'm now following them on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. Looks and sounds very tranquil and I like secret things. Thanks for the information :)