Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

A free day..How would you spend it?

LochgmarcpLochgmarcp VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
Finding some free time seems to be a rare thing these days!

Work, work, and more work and when you think you've got a free day approaching, something else pops up! To my surprise, I recently managed to get a day off, and even more surprisingly.. the weather forecast looked good.. bonus!! Now, as this was unexpected, I had no idea what to do with myself! There are plenty of places accessible with not too long a journey in either the car/bus/train from most places in Scotland, all varied depending on what you feel like doing... eventually I decided on a road trip up the west coast , with a hike up a Corbett for a possible sunrise photo (the things you do for a photo haha)!

The whole drive up the Argyll Coastal route is stunning, such mountainous terrain and fantastic views to the islands! And the drive from Fort William to Inverness through the Great Glen and along Loch Ness side is beautiful, plenty of beautiful stop offs and tourist attractions along the way.. not least a chance of spotting Nessie on route hehe! After 4 hours (including photo/coffee stops) I was happy to eventually reach my camping spot, near Elphin in Sutherland. Sunrise was a bust but I started my hike at 5.30am, maybe a little early, and as I walked the scenery was beautiful and light was improving! Cul Mor gives fantastic views across Sutherland and Assynt for not too much effort in comparison to other mountains! After spending a few ours on the hill, I decided to head to Kylesku for some breakfast and a coffee in a nice little roadside cafe, before getting some obligatory Highland images!

What are your suggestions for a day off? Maybe something in the city or in the great outdoors? Or what is your favourite way to spend a day in Scotland, let me know!

Some images from my day, below....

First light of the day above Elphin, Sutherland

Tea stop with a view over Assynt to Suilven..

Red light at Kylesku Bridge, a good excuse to stop and enjoy the scenery...

Driving home along the Argyll Coastal Route, with views to Ardnamurchan...

Instagram.com/Lochgmarcp @lochgmarcp

Comments