Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

[Deleted Content]

[Deleted Content]

Comments

• VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @Samantha_Grant Got to be salt n' sauce, its the damage!
    Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesSpotify, Twitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.
  • VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Just salt, please. Got ony tomata sauce?
  • ParsmanParsman Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Good news for anyone travelling to the North East. Zanres in Peterhead do a good fish supper and they offer "salt and sauce". You can even buy bottles of sauce to take home which means I have a nice wee hoard for emergencies in my cupboard :) !!!
  • VisitScotlandMarinaVisitScotlandMarina Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @Samantha_Grant Just salt for me!! Hate vinegar on my chips although I do quite like a pickle!! But absolutely no sauce!!!  
  • [Deleted Content]
  • [Deleted Content]
  • [Deleted Content]
  • [Deleted Content]
  • VisitScotlandKimVisitScotlandKim Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Salt & sauce - no question!! 
  • spootsspoots Member ✭✭
    Someone here's got to stick up for the vinegar, so that'll be me then :smile:

• fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Lashings of Salt & Vinegar ! Can't be too much of the stuff!
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    I saw the title of this post and just knew you would be the instigator of this thread @Samantha_Grant! After reading your recent MQoS blog post. 

@Parsman - I sample afore mentioned Zanres for a scampi supper whilst on my travels. It was scrummy. 

I am a salt and vinegar girl, with a side of mayo for dunking! 
    Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • ParsmanParsman Member ✭✭✭
    OK confession time. When I was a wee lad, just started Queen Anne High in Dunfermline, for lunch me and my mates used to walk in to the Stance Cafe near the bus station. Being health conscious we spent 10p on a poke of chips (this was 1974 so it was quite a big poke). On my chips I poured on the sauce until it was just beginning to soak out the corners of the paper bag. Then we walked about the streets eating our chips. When the last chip was gone, I then held the corner of the bag to my mouth and screwed the paper up to force all the sauce out and I drank it down. Then we nipped into Woolworths where they had a food section in those days and spent 10p on a half pound of green grapes for dessert. That, at 12 years old, was definitely living!
  • [Deleted Content]
  • [Deleted Content]
  • [Deleted Content]
  • MeekieMeekie Member
    @Samantha_Grant I can go either but I do enjoy the salt n sauce favoured in Edinburgh.
  • VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    In Aberdeenshire it was always salt and vinegar on my chipper supper although I recently tried the sauce when I was visiting Edinburgh and it was amazing!

Whilst talking about chips, I noticed that the chipper menu in the west of Scotland is totally different to the menu on the east.....there's not a mock chop in sight on the west! :D Has anyone else noticed any differences?

• VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @VisitScotlandAngela The main difference i have noticed as that people from the north of Scotland tend to call it a chipper when we call it a chippy!  Chippy sounds a lot better ;)
    Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesSpotify, Twitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.
  • VisitScotlandMarinaVisitScotlandMarina Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @VisitScotlandAngela What's a mock chop? I've never heard of that!!!  :D
  • JeremyJeremy Member ✭✭
    I love chips that are downing in vinegar with brown sauce on top. A little weird I know but I love it
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @Jeremy I hate to break it to you but what you just described is exactly what chippie sauce is! Not too weird after all :)
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • JeremyJeremy Member ✭✭
    Oh man! I thought I was being creative
  • VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @VisitScotlandMarina...mock chop has the same texture as a king rib but is formed into the shape of a pork chop, then battered and deep fried!  It's probably one of the most unhealthy things on the menu but it's really tasty  :D
  • [Deleted Content]
  • [Deleted Content]
    edited September 2017
    @Samantha_Grant I like red pudding too, and white pudding which you don't see often in the west of Scotland although I have managed to find a chipper in Dumbarton that sells it! Yummy!
  • VisitScotlandAliVisitScotlandAli Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Just vinegar for me.
  • VisitScotlandAliVisitScotlandAli Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    VisitScotlandAngela what is red pudding, never heard of it, thought you could only get black and white. Everyday is a school day  :)
  • 'Salt and Sauce'. And this ladies and gentlemen is why the Central Belt (I'm looking at you Edinburgh) is such a den of iniquity and savagery. Come to the civilised Highlands where the only thing you'll be offered is salt and vinegar. If you want brown sauce then use HP sauce and not the watered down rubbish they try and foist on you in the badlands down South. 

Honestly. Salt and Sauce indeed, utter philistines! 

:smiley: