Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

[Edinburgh public transport] Leith walk closure and sightseeing

HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
Hey Scotland travellers (and locals),

For the next 10 months, a small section of Leith Walk (a prominent central Edinburgh road) is closed. I travel exclusively by public transport in Scotland and around the world so for travellers like myself who like to take local transport, I am putting together a handy guide on how to survive an Edinburgh visit in the next 10 months.

1. Read the Lothian buses road closure guidance here (PDF). It details how the routes of all buses that go through Leith Street change.
  2. In terms of attractions, the bus routes impacted are the buses going to the Ocean Terminal i.e. the Royal Yacht Britannia and the bus 8 to the Botanical Gardens.
  3. Previously, you could have caught buses to both these attractions from Waverley station, now the stop I prefer instead is York place, a 10 minute walk down the closed Leith Walk. Alternatively, the 8 still stops and North Bridge and the Leith buses from the West end stop on George street.
Note: Did you know that a local bus day ticket for 1 person costs £4 vs £15 per person for the hop on hop off buses. If you know the right buses, you can visit any Edinburgh attraction easily with more frequent buses. I have a public transport guide for Edinburgh which may be helpful.
We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)