Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Great Tapestry of Scotland

FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
edited September 5 in Arts and Culture
I visited the Verdant Works Jute museum last week because they have the Great Tapestry of Scotland on display. 

It is 143 metres long and is believed to be the longest tapestry in the world. Taking at least 500 hours to complete each 1metre x 1metre panel and using over 300 miles of wool (for the whole tapestry), it really is an astounding piece of work. 

Telling the history of Scotland in this way is amazing. Astounded by the work and the stories told in this way it really is well worth a visit if you are visiting Dundee or passing through.

The entrance fee to the Verdant Works still applies (and this also gives you free entry for 12 months) and the Great Tapestry of Scotland is an added bonus. 

It is on display in Dundee until the 22nd October.

Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube

Comments

• fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    @FullStopNextChapte, have you ever been to the tapestry room at Stirling Castle. That is a great place to find out about the great tapestry and it's history.
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Yes @fishypro I've been to Stirling Castle and was fascinated by the tapestry room. I am actually a bit sad I never got a round to seeing the first half of the tapestry. 
    Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube