Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

SCOTTISH SETTLEMENTS WITH NINE LETTERS

spootsspoots Member ✭✭
There seem to be a lot of places in Scotland with nine letters; so, similarly to the 10-letter thread, share your favourites here!

S T R O M N E S S

I've never failed to be impressed by Stromness.  A historic town of winding alleyways and cobbled roads, it huddles around the Brinkies' Brae, a hill to the west.  Stromness has an excellent natural harbour, and there are always lots of fishing boats in.  It also has an excellent museum, a brilliant art gallery, good places to eat and the views from the Point of Ness are stunning.

Comments

• ParsmanParsman Member ✭✭
    Kirkcaldy - plus points: It is in Fife, great Gallery, fantastic front along the River, home of linoleum. Minus point - it isn't Dunfermline :) but it is in Fife so we'll let that slide.
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Ooh ok I can think of a few:

Fochabers
    Glenlivet
    Tomintoul
    Knockando
    Fanagmore
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited September 28
    @VisitScotlandAmanda Knockando??  Sounds really nice......what's it like? ;)

• VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I <3 ABERFOYLE! 

It's only a small village in the heart of the Trossachs but there's so much to see and do there....

I recently visited The Lodge Visitor Centre which has a fantastic range of walks through the Queen Elizabeth Forest Park.  One of my favourite paths leads down to the Little Fawn Waterfall and if you look up you often see folk whizzing over it on the Go Ape adventure course.  I also love spending time in the Red Squirrel Hide watching the Red Squirrels scurry through the trees...its amazing!

Doon Hill is also in Aberfoyle and has a magical trail full of local folklore about the mischievous faeries.  A the top there is an old tree which is where the spirit of the Reverend Kirk is held (the reverend investigated the faeries and published a book about them, which they didn't like, so they stole his soul and trapped it in the tree).  If you bring a ribbon, or a gift for the faeries, you can make a wish which they may, or may not, grant.  :p

• spootsspoots Member ✭✭
    edited October 27
    E D I N B U R G H

What is there to say about Edinburgh that hasn't been said already?  Not much.  So here are some photos.