Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Do not trust TravelineScotland 100% for public transport planning

HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
Hello all,

Wanted to share a quick anecdote about planning public transport travels in Scotland. There is only 1 single source of truth when you wish to know the timetable of any connection and that is the published timetable of the local transport company that actually operates that connection (ScotRail for trains but much more complicated for buses).

TravelineScotland mostly does a good job in trying to be a source of truth by aggregating all timetable information but as I found our an hour back, it is not always correct. I have 4 tickets to go to Ballachulish from Oban on the 9:30 AM bus 918 and I wanted to confirm the timings on the Traveline website. Imagine my horror when I did not see my connection listed on the Journey Planner timetables (can't screenshot due to slow internet but easily reproducible). Then I walked to the Oban bus stand to talk to a West Coast motors (the bus operating local company) driver and discussed the timetable to come to the conclusion that the bus is running.

I had a similar experience with Google Maps not showing the Wednesday Islay - Oban ferry and adding 18 hours to the ideal itinerary. The TL;DR is that Google Maps and Traveline Scotland are mostly correct but don't be afraid to call Citylink / talk to bus drivers to get the correct info.

We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)

Comments