Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Ben Lomond - first Munro!

So at the age of sixty and one day I bid farewell to all my social media friends just in case it was to be my last day on this earth!  I was off to bag my first Munro - Ben Lomond.

I am of average fitness, being out and about with the camera most days but was a bit nervous of what lay ahead.  

Proper gear in place, I set off.  I'm not going to lie - it was hard going, and many stops were had - mostly to let the other few hundred people overtake me.  If its peace and quiet you are after this is perhaps not the one to do in summer.  

The paths - maintained by the National Trust for Scotland were excellent and maintenance must keep the staff and volunteers busy given the number of people on the hill.

The potential for views became apparent as the tree line was left behind and the loch could be seen shimmering between the mist.  

Eventually (four hours later) the first Munro had been bagged and the views were breathtaking.  From the top not only  can you see Argyll, The Trossachs, Dunbartonshire, Renfrewshire and more but as the light changed so often it was like seeing different views every couple of minutes.

Coming back down was hard for these old bones but the satisfaction felt more than made up for the aches.

If you are thinking of doing a hill climb get prepared, wear good firm shoes (not pink plimsoles - oh yes there were!) Take plenty of snacks and drinks and go at the pace you feel comfortable at.  It took as long for me to come down as it did to go up - there's no shame in that - cause I did it!   

Comments