Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Northern Lights

eilidh__cameroneilidh__cameron VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
Did anyone else manage to capture that increible Northern Lights display on Thursday night?

Comments

• ananyahananyah VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    I've always wanted to see them but never had the chance (or was sleeping!!). Amazing photograph. Where was it taken?
    Visit Scotland Community Ambassador
    Glasgow Based Food, Travel & Lifestyle Blogger
    Blog | Twitter | Instagram
  • VisitScotlandHeatherVisitScotlandHeather Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Oh wow!  That is spectacular! Any tips for managing to capture them on camera? 
  • VisitScotlandIntroVisitScotlandIntro Administrator
    @ananyah - check out Aurora Watch UK - they have free text alerts, smartphone apps and a Twitter account that highlights when aurora activity is likely. I managed to spot the recent aurora over Edinburgh thanks to one of their alerts. I had to go to the darkest part of the supermarket next to my flat and it was more of a green smear on the horizon than @eilidh__cameron's photo above, but it was still very cool!

• eilidh__cameroneilidh__cameron VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    @ananyah so sorry for the late reply, this was taken in Moine Mhor, mid Argyll! And yes I use Aurora watch! Not so easy to see at this time of year but hopefully you'll get to see them sometime. 
  • eilidh__cameroneilidh__cameron VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    @VisitScotlandHeather thanks heather! The setting I used to capture this photo were ISO 12800, f/3.5 and 10 second exposure! You need to let as much light in as possible so a high ISO is necessary and definitely use a tripod! 
  • EdinBloggerEdinBlogger VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    @eilidh__cameron Wow! Amazing shot. 

Thanks for the tip on the app @VisitScotlandDave - now downloaded. 
    Gary Wood - Blogger at EdinBraw - The Best of Edinburgh
    Passionate about Edinburgh's food and festival scene and slowly starting to explore Scotland. 
    Find me on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook
  • VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    "@VisitScotlandHeather thanks heather! The setting I used to capture this photo were ISO 12800, f/3.5 and 10 second exposure! You need to let as much light in as possible so a high ISO is necessary and definitely use a tripod!"

This is a great tip....perhaps I will manage to get this awesome sight on film now  :p
  • Robin_Fae_UnstRobin_Fae_Unst Member ✭✭
    Another great website for information to help you catch the Northern Lights is www.gi.alaska.edu/auroraforecast the Geophysical Institute of Alaska. Northern Lights can generally be predicted around 14 days in advance as it takes around this time for particles from the Sun this long to reach earth. This site provides a forecast with easy to use maps showing the visable reach. 
    From the island above all others, Unst is Britain's northern most island.
    Shetland is an amazing and unique location to visit and all of us Shetlanders are eager to share our wonderful little part of the world with everyone, so come along & visit us. 
    Join me on my underwater explorations of Shetland at my instagram @rdmouatt ;
  • HelbelHelbel Member ✭✭
    Thanks for tips ... I will now be better prepared to spot when next in our skies. Had the privilege of seeing them in Skye last October. Truly magical. 
  • I've always wanted to see the Northern Lights (hopefully somewhere in Scotland)! It's on my Bucket List so i'll need to achieve it at some point! :)
  • shetlanddebbieshetlanddebbie Member ✭✭
    I also use http://aurorawatch.lancs.ac.uk/ for information about the Northern Lights - or the 'Mirrie Dancers', as we call them.
  • BecksBecks Member
    I'd love to see the Northern Lights too.  I've got the Aurora Watch app on my phone.  Fingers crossed - one day!
  • sinead_flemingsinead_fleming Member ✭✭
    @ananyah - check out Aurora Watch UK- they have free text alerts, smartphone apps and a Twitter account that highlights when aurora activity is likely. I managed to spot the recent aurora over Edinburgh thanks to one of their alerts. I had to go to the darkest part of the supermarket next to my flat and it was more of a green smear on the horizon than @eilidh__cameron's photo above, but it was still very cool!

Wow! Great tip, thanks! I always kick myself when I miss the Edinburgh Northern Lights!
  • ZubenelgenubiZubenelgenubi Member ✭✭
    This is on my bucket list. Annoying as I think I've missed the central belt version a couple of times recently. 
    Awaiting arrival of witty signature.
  • JWGJWG Member ✭✭
    If any of you are planning a trip to Orkney to see the Northern Lights there is a really good Facebook group called "Orkney Aurora Group" which is worth joining as they post updates saying if there is activity.
  • seawildearthseawildearth Member ✭✭
    Fantastic image. Will be relocating to Scotland in 2017 so am hoping to be able to see them for myself one day, a life long ambition...
    "A man is only as big as the dreams he dares to live"