Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Edinburgh transport NYE

Hi

I'm looking at staying in Edinburgh for Hogmanay,  but am struggling to find available, affordable accommodation within walking distance of the street party. If we get accommodation further out will there be any trans or buses running after midnight? Will taxis be impossible to find? 

Thanks

Comments

• VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited August 16
    There are currently still some options for accommodation using the VisitScotland accommodation availability search tool. I have done a search for you here

The event organisers at Edinburgh's Hogmanay also offer package deals and suggestions for accommodation in the city. More details here

Many hotels offer special Hogmanay/New Year packages so it's worth having a search on the internet for 'Hogmanay package Edinburgh' to see what comes up.

In previous years there have been free bus services and trams operating around the city beyond midnight to the small hours, so there will likely be buses servicing the wider Edinburgh area. Details will be announced on the official website:
    https://www.edinburghshogmanay.com/

• VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hey @FifiAnne!  Taxis might be a bit of a nightmare to come by on Hogmanay (NYE) but this website here should be able to give you a little bit more information.

Hope this helped!
  • HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    edited August 16
    There are fewer things that would make you feel like a true Edinburgh local than walking back to your home on Hogmanay for a good 40 minutes :smile: Edinburgh is actually quite small and walkable so if you find anything in the Leith / Haymarket / Meadowbank areas then take it (somehow outsiders don't consider these areas city centre enough though it takes 30 minutes tops to walk to them).
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
  • FifiAnneFifiAnne Member
    Thanks, that's all really helpful, I'll have a look at these suggestions. 
  • FifiAnneFifiAnne Member
    Thanks, that's all really helpful, I'll have a look at these suggestions.