Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Road Conditions In April?

A friend and I are planning a trip to Scotland the beginning of April. We have 12 days. We're thinking to rent a car and do a road trip starting and ending in Edinburgh. We want to head towards Stirling and Oban and up to Inverness, then back down via Braemar Castle, Glamis Castle and Scone Palace. How are the road conditions that time of years? Are they generally clear of snow?   

Best Answer

• VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Accepted Answer
    Hey @Marguerite!  The roads should be clear of snow, but I wouldn't rule it out!  There might be some heavy rain which could affect conditions for driving but just be prepared for any weather because, in Scotland, we often have all 4 seasons in one day!

Answers

• MargueriteMarguerite Member
    @VisitScotlandLiam Thanks so much! We've thought about using the train but we'd much rather drive at our own pace and stop wherever something looks interesting. I've just not driven in a lot of snow. Rain is not an issue.
  • VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    That's not a problem @Marguerite!  It's nice travelling Scotland by train as there is some lovely routes, but I agree it is brilliant taking the car and stopping at certain places.  What to do is check the weather forecast before your trip and just make sure there isn't any snow forecast.  I hope you have a fantastic trip and make sure you put some photos up on here so we can see how you got on!  :)