Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Hop-on-and-off Tickets between Inverness and Edinburgh?

Hello,

I am currently planning a trip in late September. My boyfriend and I are taking the Caledonian Sleeper from London to Inverness, spending a full day in Inverness and then the next day want to travel down to Edinburgh. I noticed that the Dalwhinnie distillery is on the way south and would love to stop, or in general be able to get on and off the rail. I've looked into their website but it has me a little confused. Are there tickets that will allow you to hop on and off at different stations? Or, is there a different rail/bus system we should take that gives us this availability?

Cheers,
Megan

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    edited August 11
    Hey Megan, when you buy a train ticket that is marked "Anytime single", you can break your journey as many times as you need on the day your travel (so Inverness - Dalwhinnie and Dalwhinnie - Edinburgh are totally possible). If buying your ticket online, make sure you do not buy the cheaper Advance Single tickets are those are for a fixed train (just buy the ticket on the day in Inverness).

The trickier part is making schedules match, not all trains on the Edinburgh - Inverness route stop at Dalwhinnie. I checked the current timetable and there is a train leaving Inverness at 9:41 AM that is your only bet. Arrives at Dalwhinnie at 10:43 AM. After the tour and some walking, catch the 3:48 PM train to Glasgow, get off at Perth and then change to an Edinburgh train.

*Note*: the connections mentioned above are the ONLY feasible connections as per the train timetable. Missing any of these trains could mean trouble. But it is a comfortable timing.

Alternatively, if a distillery is what you're after, you can get off at Pitlochry instead and visit Edradour / Blair Atholl distillery. The main draw is that all trains / multiple buses stop at Pitlochry so gives you more choice. However Dalwhinnie is definitely the more scenic distillery (with a superb product)
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)