Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Best navigation options for driving

I am looking for some reliable options for navigation while driving around Scotland. We have rented a car for our 2 week trip and wonder if we should purchase the UK maps for our Garmin GPS or is there a better option. I think the rental company offers a GPS, but not sure the price. And when we're in Glasgow and Edinburgh how reliable are the downloadable maps for our smartphones?

Comments

• VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @Iagirlinsomd1!!  Before you buy any updates for your Garmin, you should liaise with your mobile phone operator to see if they incur any roaming charges, if not you will be able to use Google Maps or iPhone Maps at no extra cost (although it will use up your data allowance).  They are usually quite reliable but there tends to be roadworks throughout Edinburgh that the system doesn't register, and if you're driving to Glasgow from Edinburgh, the iPhone Maps don't really know where they are going because of the new road - I know from personal experience.  I don't know about Google Maps as I don't use that service, personally, but i would imagine it would be similar.

If you do have to pay roaming charges, however, i would recommend pricing up the options between the Garmin update and the system at the rental vehicle place.

Do you know what rental company you are going with and I could have a look to see what the prices are?

Hope this has helped!
    Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesSpotify, Twitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.
  • Iagirlinsomd1Iagirlinsomd1 Member ✭✭
    Thank you. That is very helpful. We booked our car through AutoEurop. I can look up their prices as well. Appreciate the advice.
  • MoFMoF Member ✭✭
    I'm going to toss a little bit into the fray here just a bit of the research I've done in that regard.  I'm getting my old iPhone unlocked and planning on getting a sim and a pay as you go plan from three (per a couple articles online they have the best cell coverage in Scotland) I'm planning on using google maps and data to get around with.  That is a viable option from the research I've done.