Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

The islands in March or April

Hi everyone,

I'm going to Scotland in September, but I won't be able to visit the islands. As I know it's better to plan in advance for the islands, I'm already thinking about my next trip to Scotland, and more precisely to the Hebrides.
What do you think of the idea to go there in March or April ? Any experience to share ? I precise I don't intend to rent a car.
Thanks to all

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    @Ganymede Hello, I can try to help you from a public transport standpoint, I have visited multiple islands using public transport only and can rate them / offer you links and experiences. I am also not sure which of the hebrides you want to target (Inner or Outer) so can talk about both.

Inner

Islay (my experience) has a pretty good public transport setup running from around 9 am to 6 pm. Almost all the distilleries are connected by bus (Kilchoman, Bunnahabain & Caol Ila are not). It is easy to get on a ferry to Jura but the only bus on the island is super infrequent. You can also hire cycles easily on the island but can't take them on the bus (unlike the US). I had a great time exploring Islay and a bit of Jura while drinking a fair amount of whisky :smile:  Getting to Islay is easy logistically (bus to Kennacraig from Glasgow followed by a ferry) but takes forever. The weekly ferry to Oban is also worth a look.

Mull (my experience) is easier to get to than Islay (train to Oban followed by ferry) but the buses on the island are infrequent and super expensive. We based ourselves are Craignure and took the bus to Fionnphort (and Iona) to visit Staffa. It's good only for a weekend but not longer by public transport.

Outer

Skye (my experiences here & here) is the most famous and quite easy to get to as there is a direct bus from Glasgow. Fairly decent frequency (once in 2 hours) of buses on the island but you cannot get to the Fairy Pools by bus. Highly suggest, getting a day tour of the island from a local guide while on Skye.

Harris (my short experience) and Lewis has the best public transport of the islands IMO but do not risk going to the request stop of Luskentyre like I did and got properly stranded due to a full bus with no cell coverage. You can see other beaches on scheduled stops like Hogarbost, Seilebost & Huishnish.

We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
  • GanymedeGanymede Member ✭✭
    Hi @Horizons
    Many thanks for having taken the time to answer my question with so many details.
    It will definitely help my choice on which islands to visit
    Your blog is very interesting and inspiring, and I think it will be one of my favorite sources on my future trips