Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Historical tales from Dumfries & Galloway

Having been fascinated with the history of Dumfries & Galloway ever since I worked at Drumlanrig Castle, near Thornhill - I've been reading stories from right across the region.

Some of my favourites include; Gretna Green and the old blacksmiths shop where people have been getting married for centuries; Robert Burns and the Globe Inn, his favourite drinking place; and another recent discovery is the Iron Age Roundhouse at Whithorn, reconstructed from a settlement which dates back to 450bc.  Whithorn also has very close connections to Christianity.

Would love to hear what others find fascinating in Dumfries & Galloway's past?

Comments

• LauramacLauramac Member ✭✭

Hi @alowlandhiglander, while on holiday touring with family in our campervan, we discovered Whithorn and explored St Ninian’s Priory Church in the grounds where the medieval Whithorn Priory stood and one of Scotland major pilgrimage destinations.

So much more to explore, we will definitely be making a return visit!

• VisitScotlandSheenaVisitScotlandSheena Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited July 28
    Hi @alowlandhighlander and @Lauramac. Yes totally agree on the Whithorn history. It's fascinating. There's also a beautiful walk down to St Ninian's Cave, right on the coast which continues to be a site of pilgrimage every year. It passes through a pretty wooded glen, before you reach the pebble beach and the cave. You can immediately see why St Ninian chose this secluded spot - there's definitely something serene about the area. It also featured in the cult classic The Wicker Man.

Not one to miss when you're in the region.
  • JemyJemy Member ✭✭
    I love Caelaverock Castle, both the main and foundations of the oldest stone castle in Scotland which are located behind it.

Also Sweetheart Abbey is quite nice. I didn't realise how much history was in the ruin before I arrived.