Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Tipping

mustseescotlandmustseescotland VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭
Tipping in Scotland is quite a concern for many visitors, especially those from across the Atlantic. The first point to bear in mind is that, overall, there is less of a tipping culture in Scotland than in, say, the USA.  After conversations with our clients anxious to get it right,  here are some observations and advice - on our website.
The Scotland guide, written by Gilbert and Johanna Summers - lifetime Scottish tourism experts, so you get the best vacation.
www.must-see-scotland.com

Comments

• ananyahananyah VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    In restaurants, I normally leave 10-15% tip, sometimes more if the food/service has been superb. 

For taxi drivers, I normally round it up by £1 or so. 

In bars, I don't normally leave a tip.
    Visit Scotland Community Ambassador
    Glasgow Based Food, Travel & Lifestyle Blogger
    Blog | Twitter | Instagram
  • VisitScotlandEstherVisitScotlandEsther Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited May 2016
    It's more unusual to tip in a bar in Scotland than in the USA, particularly in a busy pub or club. I leave a tip from time to time, usually in quieter places and if the service has been excellent, but you shouldn't feel compelled to do so.

I worked in a hotel bar in L.A. for a while, and was amazed - most people would leave something in the tip jar each time they ordered a drink. By contrast, working in a club in Edinburgh, you might receive a tip four or five times in a whole evening.

Another difference is the prevalence of table service in the USA. In Scotland, in most bars and pubs, customers go up to the bar to place an order, rather than waiting for service to come to them.

When it comes to food, in Scotland I always leave around 10 per cent, unless something went very wrong!