Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Top tips for Perth

Hi everyone,

Living in Fife, one of my top day trips is a drive up the road to the lovely city of Perth. Full of lovely wee shops and places to eat, its own concert hall and museum & art gallery, the stunning Black Watch Castle and Museum, and with top sights like Scone Palace and Kinnoull Hill just down the road, it’s a brilliant place for a visit.

One of my favourite things to do while visiting Perth is taking a walk along the brilliant River Tay Public Art Trail. The Trail has 22 different sculptures which mainly sit along the two banks of the River Tay from the North Inch to the South Inch and down to the High Street, and reflect the history and heritage of the city and the river. Two of my favourites are ‘Millais’ Viewpoint’, a huge picture frame which is situated at one of the favourite viewpoints of John Everett Millais, a Victorian painter who had strong links to Perth. If you stand just right, you can frame the view of Kinnoull Kirkyard, where Millais’ wife is buried. Also keep an eye out for the colourful birds by Rhonda Bayley on Tay Street. These wee guys are inspired by William Soutar, Perth’s best known poet, and his poen Bairn Rhymes, and they never fail to put a smile on my face!!

Find out more about the trail here. You can pick up a leaflet for the trail from Perth iCentre as well :smile:

Has anyone else walked the Art Trail? Or do you have any top tips for Perth? 

Comments

• Stefano_1988Stefano_1988 Member ✭✭
    Hi @ailsa, I visited Perth in June and I really liked it. I spent two full days in town so that I had the chance to visit attractions like Huntingtower Castle, The Fair Maid's House, The Black Watch Museum and the Scone Palace. Then, though the bad weather, I managed to walk the Art Trail and to reach Kinnoull Hill as well... simply amazing!
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    I live just outside of Perth and since moving here a little under 2 years ago we have fallen in love with it. There are plenty of attractions to visit such as those mentioned above, walks, castles and restaurants. A brilliant place to base yourself and do day trips - to St Andrews (about 45 minutes drive), Pitlochry (about 35 minutes drive), Edinburgh or Glasgow (about an hour drive) by train.

We now have boat trips along the Tay too: https://www.perthcity.co.uk/boating-on-the-tay/

What I do enjoy about the Fair City is there are lots of different events and festivals all throughout the year. Most of them are free. Take a peek to see what is on during the autumn and winter: 
    https://www.perthcity.co.uk/calendar/

Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube