Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Isle of Arran, Ayrshire

DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
Hello everyone  :)

I love visiting the Isle of Arran and I try to visit at least once a year to explore the island. Calmac reduced their ferry prices last year and this has really helped make this possible for me and my family.

I've visited for the day, a few days, stayed in a guest house, cottage and also camped. There's something for everyone whether it be cycling, walking, hiking, relaxing, shopping, history, eating or drinking.

I've explored a few places on the island over the years and list below some of the walks I've completed so far:
  • Goatfell, Brodick
  • Brodick Castle and Merkland wood
  • Glen Rosa, Brodick
  • Glen Sannox
  • North Glen Sannox
  • Cock of Arran, Lochranza
  • Urie Loch and Lagaville Trails, near Lamlash
  • Giants' Graves, Whiting Bay
  • Glenashdale Falls, Whiting Bay
  • King's Cave, Blackwaterfoot
  • Machrie Standing Stones, Machrie
I've many more still to do! If you fancy looking at photos of some of these walks you can view these on my wee blog www.loveexploringscotland.com and also check out the Visit Arran website.

Over the years I've noticed how things are changing on Arran. It's a living island moving with the times and a great community to support it. I dream that one day I will retire there and all this splendor will be right on my doorstep :).

Arran really is Scotland in miniature with the highlands and the lowlands all in one little gem of an island. The only thing I can't guarantee is the weather ⛅.

Happy exploring everyone!

Dawn-Marie  <3
I blog about places I've explored in Scotland on Love Exploring Scotland  <3
Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagramVimeo or YouTube :)

Comments

• VisitScotlandIntroVisitScotlandIntro Administrator
    edited April 2016
    I camped on Arran many years ago and have always wanted to go back. Thanks for this post, it's inspired me to start looking up ferry timetables :smiley:
  • VisitScotlandMiriamVisitScotlandMiriam Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited May 2016
    Lovely suggestions - don't forget other activities, such as sea fishing, gorge walking and all the watersports too! I must go back sometime - I really want to try some of the local food, and quite fancy the look of the Isle of Arran Mountain Festival.

There are more tips about visiting Arran on the site too.
    I'm an Edinburgher who works in the VisitScotland Content Team - have you seen our blog?
  • TheChaoticScotTheChaoticScot VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    I've only spent a day or two on Arran at a time, and absolutely love it. It really does showcase the best bits of Scotland - castles, glens, mountains, forest, beach, wildlife, standing stones and AMAZING food. 

I'm also a big fan of the Arran 14 single malt. Surely the distillery has to be one of the prettiest in Scotland?  <3

Follow my adventures on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram 

Have a wee nosey at my blog  

Former tour guide and current blether. Edinburgh girl whose <3 is in the Scottish Islands. Talk to me about scenic walks, photography, places to eat, public transport, exciting adventures and history  :)
  • DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Lovely photo @TheChaoticScot ;and it is pretty :). I've yet to visit the distillery and probably have a good twenty years worth of exploring still to do there!

Have you seen this app yet? I created a wee story about Arran :) https://steller.co/s/5dtNG2quJ6h. There's so much more I could have added but it's my first one.

It's a lovely way to capture your favourite walk, place in Scotland, anything really!
    Has everyone seen Visit Arran's tweet and Facebook post asking to help name the new Arran ferry?

https://www.facebook.com/visitarran/?fref=photo

#‎BoatyMcBoatface‬ will not be considered
  • laretourlaretour VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭
    I'm thinking of visiting Arran this summer - although I was brought up on the west coast, I shockingly have never been! Where would you all advise on staying, and where would be best bearing in mind I won't have a car? :)
    LARETOUR.com 
    Stories from Scotland.
    instagram | twitter | facebook
    edited June 2016
    We stayed at the Glenartney Guest House  in Brodick many years ago, some rooms have Goatfell views. They also have a self catering cottage at the back of the guest house with views across to Goatfell. Both were really nice and easy access to the shops and walks in Brodick. If you don't have a car it's probably best to base yourself in Brodick. The buses are regular around the island. On other visits we've camped, cause it's cheaper, and once stayed in a lovely cottage in the south of the island called Firth Cottage, but you'd need a car to get there. Really good reviews on the Glenartney on Tripadvisor :) https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g551754-d610935-Reviews-The_Glenartney-Brodick_Isle_of_Arran_Scotland.html
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    I love Arran, as a die hard history geek it's heaven for me.

Machrie Moor is awe inspiring with its huge, ancient standing stones. Such a magical place with its true purpose now lost in time.

I also loved King's Cave, a lovely walk and the cave with it's ancient carvings and early tourist grafitti is fascinating.

Lochranza Castle is a great visit too. It's two castles for the price of one. If you look closely you'll see the standard Scottish tower house type castle incorporates a much rarer medieval hallhouse.   Lochranza also has a great wee place for an al fresco lunch on a nice day. The Sandwich Station is excellent for soup, fresh homemade sandwiches, delicious cakes and Arran ice cream. We loved it. http://www.thesandwichstation.com/  

Another historical site I loved was Torrylin Cairn, a neolithic burial site. I love how the remains of the inner chamber corridor appear to align with Ailsa Craig. Coincidence?
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Laura I agree with @DMWScotland definately Brodick if you won't have a car. You'll love Arran. It's very easy to get around and there's so much to see and do. We stayed at Lagg Inn in Kilmory. If you get a chance to visit pop in for lunch. I look forward to hearing all about your trip. @laretour
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• KarenSlightKarenSlight Member
    Love Arran - my only regret is visiting only once and on business so not a lot of time to explore.  I did however get to sample Arran Cheese which was SUPER yummy.  I may need to buy some now...

Love Arran - my only regret is visiting only once and on business so not a lot of time to explore.  I did however get to sample Arran Cheese which was SUPER yummy.  I may need to buy some now...

Even better @KarenSlight you can go back and visit and taste it straight from the creamery! I love going on the ferry and watching that view (on a clear day) of the Arran mountains getting closer and closer. I get super excited! :)
    I was back visiting the Isle of Arran for the summer solstice!

My fiance and I wild camped on top of Goatfell for the night. We caught some of the sunset and a late morning sunrise. It was the most challenging and rewarding adventure I've ever experienced.

Being on top of a mountain late at night and early morning lets you experience it's magnificent unpredictable beauty.

I attach a few photos, you can see more on my blog: www.loveexploringscotland.com

Here I am again, back visiting Arran for a wee day out and new walk to explore with my fiance and 12 year old daughter. We visited on Tuesday 5 July 2016.

Coire Fhionn Lochan is located in the north west of the island at Thunderguy (also known as Thundergay) near Pirnmill. We brought our car over and parked right across from the start of the walk, but you can also get the bus here and ask the driver to let you off.

It's mostly an uphill walk of two miles. But it's two miles of pure loveliness! The terrain felt a bit like hiking up Goatfell with a steep start, flatish middle section and steep rocky steps near the end. This would be a great first time test of your hiking ability before trying Goatfell which is a three and a half mile hike. I was interested to see how my daughter would manage and I'm pleased to say she passed with flying colours. So Goatfell could be on the agenda again!

We walked through a gate, climbed a style (gate option too) and crossed a stepping stone. Crystal clear waterfalls complimented our walk most of the way. The white bog cotton was still around but starting to wither slightly. It was time for the purple heather to take over in colour and how pretty is it.

When the cloud cleared and we reached a higher point we could see across to the Mull of Kintyre and Isle of Jura.

I had an idea of what the loch was like as other explorers had told me about it and it did not disappoint. When we reached the top the loch just appeared, sitting amongst the mountains with beautiful white gravel beaches scattered around. This is the most beautiful loch I've seen on Arran so far.

We made our way round to the far away beach as the closest beach was enjoying the company of another family. You can also walk up over the ridges around the loch to see more impressive views. I only walked up a short way up to capture a photo of the loch.

Enjoy some photos below. Sorry they're not the best quality, used my phone :)