Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Paddle boarding in St Andrews - Fife

EdinBrawGaryEdinBrawGary VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
If you're looking for something fun to do in St Andrews, look no further than paddleboarding with Blown Away Experiences.

Let me start by saying I'm a fairly bad swimmer, have no coordination and don't cope well being submerged in cold water. For these reasons, I decided not to fall in.

Blown Away is an award-winning outdoor experience company operating on the glorious West Sands Beach of St Andrews. Set up in 2007 by twins brothers Guy and Jamie McKenzie in their last year of study to share their love of outdoor activities and now operates with a team of like minded enthusiasts. 

The high winds on our visit meant we couldn't paddleboard in the sea without drifting off to Norway, so instead we took to the harbour and travelled along the river.

It took a while to gain the confidence to stand up on the board, but after a little encouragement from Guy and Jamie, I was on both feet (even with a few wobbles).  I was a natural, picking up speed and finally controlling the direction I wanted to go in - then I fell in. I was having so much fun that I didn't even mind, I just jumped back on and got going again. 

The team from Blown Away had top banter - even if they were responsible for some of us getting wetter than we'd planned. Everybody who took part thoroughly enjoyed the afternoon, this would be an ideal activity for celebrations or team building events. 

I was 'blown away' by how much fun we had, having set expectations fairly low, I assumed I would struggle and fall in repeatedly, but I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was. I'd happily do this again and keen to try out the landyachting (aka Land sailing, sand yachting and Blokarting).

Thanks for a fun afternoon, see you again soon! 

The afternoon of paddleboarding was arranged by Welcome to Fife and Visit Scotland, all opinions are my own and we'll definitely be back for more fun soon. 

Photos courtesy of Nicola from FunkyEllas Travels 

Gary Wood - Blogger at EdinBraw - The Best of Edinburgh
Passionate about Edinburgh's food and festival scene and slowly starting to explore Scotland. 
Find me on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook
Tagged: