Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Gin anyone?

ailsaailsa Member ✭✭

If you’re a fan of gin (like I am!), Scotland is the place to be. You might not know it, but there are over 50 producers of gins thoughout Scotland from Dumfries and Galloway to Shetland. You might have heard of some (Hendricks or Eden Mill anyone?) but I bet that there are loads you’ve never tried yet. I haven’t, and I’m taking it as a challenge! :P

A few of my current favourites are Edinburgh Gin (their elderflower gin is to die for) and Pickerings (based at the brilliant Summerhall in Edinburgh). I also loved visiting the Isle of Harris distillery in Tarbert and sampling their delicious gin. And there are new distilleries opening all the time, the newest one I can think of is Crafty Distillery, opening soon near Newton Stewart!

5pm just created this brilliant gin map of Scotland, so I’ll be using that to start ticking some off my list ;)

Do you have a favourite Scottish gin? Or which gins are on your list to try next?

Tagged:

Comments

• argyllgirlargyllgirl Member ✭✭
    My favourites (so far) are Kirkjuvagr and Loch Ness. 
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Harris gin is definitely top of my list. A close second is Orkney Gin Company with both their Johnsmas and Rhubarb Old Tom bottles. 

Caorunn is also REALLY good

Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    Botanist (made in Briuchladdich) and the aforementioned Isle of Harris.
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
  • EdinBloggerEdinBlogger VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    There are so many great Scottish gins, some of our personal favourites are: 

Electric Spirit, NB Gin, Wild Island Bontanic Gin, Pickering's and Caorunn.

Excited to see a new gin on the block - Leith Gin, looking forward to trying that out. 

Pickering's have a great distillery tour in Edinburgh, really great value!
    https://www.edinbraw.com/pickerings-gin-distillery-tour-summerhall-edinburgh/ 
    Gary Wood - Blogger at EdinBraw - The Best of Edinburgh
    Passionate about Edinburgh's food and festival scene and slowly starting to explore Scotland. 
    Find me on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I went to the Edinburgh Gin Festival last year and there was a talk by the creator of Daffy's Gin - loved learning about the process and LOVED tasting it! Daffy's is now one of my favourites, as is good ole Edinburgh Gin and Pickerings. I'm desperate to try the Isle of Harris gin!
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • ailsaailsa Member ✭✭
    Great suggestions, thanks everyone! These are going to top of my list. And @EdinBlogger, I work down in Leith and had never heard of Leith Gin, will definitely check that one out in a pub near me!
  • alowlandhighlanderalowlandhighlander Member ✭✭
    When I was back visiting my homeland (Caithness) I discovered Rock Rose Gin from Dunnet.  If you know Dunnet Head is the most northerly point on mainland Britain and I often imagine the waves of the Pentland Firth crashing against the cliffs at Dunnet as I enjoy a tipple!
    edited July 26
    As an adopted Borderer now there are a few in the south of Scotland which should be tasted if you get the chance.

Lilliard Gin based at Born in the Borders near Jedburgh, perfect to combine beer and gin tasting, maybe not at the same time though :). The other one in the Borders is Kelso Gin Company who produce Crow Man's Gin with regular tasting sessions in Rutherfords Micropub in Kelso.  Have I missed any since I wrote this as they are popping up everyone now.

Crafty Gin in Newton Stewart, Dumfries & Galloway is one I need to explore as is The Distillery, Dalton also in Dumfries & Galloway but don't know much about that one.
    When I was back in my homeland (Caithness) a few months ago, I discovered Rock Rose Gin from Dunnet Bay. If you know, Dunnet Head is the most northerly point on British mainland, I often imagine the waves of the Pentland Firth crashing against the cliffs while having a wee tipple. 
  • VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I like gin but unfortunately it doesn't like me!! It gives me a migraine if I have more than 2 G&T's!!  :'(
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Rock Rose (Caithness), NB (East Lothian) The Botanist (Islay), Kirkjuvagr (Orkney) and Arbekie (Angus) - I could go on but I'll sound like I have a problem.  :D I only drink Scottish gins these days. They're the best out there. 

I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Has anyone tried the Kintyre gin? I saw it at Bowfest over the weekend but never had a chance to try!
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    I haven't tried the Kintyre gin @VisitScotlandAmanda but I did get my hands on a (relatively) new Orkney gin called Seaglass. It's really nice and fresh too. They also make vodka.

Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • NaelMNaelM Member
    edited November 6
    We have been working our way through the Scottish gins for a while, must have tasted close to 40 now. Oops. Hard to pick a favourite, so many good options! Tried Kintyre Gin at the weekend it was very nice indeed. Also met and tried the new McLean's Gin, which was unlike any other gin we have tasted (in a good way). The couple make it by hand in their cupboard in Glasgow! We had Gin Bothy's Gunshot which I preferred neat rather than mixed - sweet (maybe slightly too sweet for some) but VERY festive, would be great around the fire at Christmas.