Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

1 week in scotland - Review my trip if you have time :)

Hello to everyone!

My name is Simone and I'm from Italy. With 2 friends of mine will be for the first time in your magic country for a week in august. We've already planned quite almost all of our route (we'll rent a car in Edimburgh), so I would like to ask you for your review, advices or anithing :smiley:
Here the link of our trip:
Our map!

We are going to stay every night in a different place, I know that we've quite rushed our trip but your country is amazing and we wanted to see as much as we can :blush:

Also we are not going to do all walk pointed on the map or to visit all poi listed, that will depend on how much time we will have left.
Here a little summary of our trip:

Day 1:
14:00 arrival to Edimburgh, take the car and ready to go (we'll see Edimburgh on our last day).
Road to Sant Andrews with stops at Kirkcaldy and Farkland
We'll have for sure no time to visit Eden Mill St Andrews Distillery, that's a shame :disappointed:

Day 2:
Early Birds (hoping to not drik too much in day 1 evening).
We'll probably skip  Dundee (long day ahead). We'll stop probably in Abroath or Lunan for the second breakfast. Also we'll take a free time during the travel to stoneheaven where we'll stop for sure.
Then travel again to Royal Lochnagar Distillery and Balmoral, with a must stop to Cambus O'May Cheese Co. :smiley:
We want to reach avienmore not late then 5 p.m. to take the Loch Morlich walk. 
Evening in town, I hope we'll eat at the The Old Bridge Inn.

Day 3:
Let's go!
Maybe we'll stop in Grantown for an early walk and for sure we'll stop at Cairngorm Leaf & Bean for a second breakfast!! (we like to eat!)
Then maybe a walk to Logie Steading followed by a visit in nairn. We'll skip inverness for sure (no time sadly). Road to the west coast, we'll stop for sure in some poi (did you say Dalmore Distillery?) or take some walk in the middle of higlands .
I hope to reach for dinner time. (If really early I'd like to visit Stoer Lighthouse)

Day 4: 
Zig zang in the west coast, we want to see everything we can here! A lot of poi and stop, if you have something that we MUST do (or eat :wink: ) let me know!
We'll stop in Ardarroch for the evening (hoping to visit applecross inn for dinner)

Day 5:
Day 5 is a big day. Is skye day! I know we should have dedicated 2 days to skye, must you know.. too much to see!
Tell me what do you like mostly in skye :smiley:
We'll stop to sleep in Fort Augustus (big trip to come back).

Day 6:
Did you say nessie? We'll locking for her in the morning, with a stop to fort william and ben nevis in the middle of the day.
We have no clear plan to the evening (after launch). We would like to see oban but maybe is too much for half day (also to reach). Alternative some walks in lock lomond (we'll not take in this cases the left deviation to the coast)
We'll stay for the night in The Drovers Inn !!

Day 7:
Last day is here :(
Quick road to Edimburgh, leave the car and spend all day and also night in Edi (we've quite not planned anything yet). We'll not have an accomodation for the night since our flight will depart in 6:00 am, so we'll go to the airport as soon as we are tyred.

And that's it :smile: 
I hope to see a lot of beautifull scenery of your country, eat a lot of your local cousine (I want to eat Haggis for sure), drink whisky and taste the scotland spirit as much as I can :smile:

Thank you for all advices you want to give us, and see you in august !

Simone

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    A very organized itinerary, bravo!! :smile: Here are my random notes.

Add the Oyster Shed in your Skye itinerary for superb Scottish shellfish, my other favourites are already on the map. If you do decide to spend time walking in Torridon, I would highly recommend this one but it takes such a long time (which I don't believe you have). My Skye favourites are Quiraing, Sligachan & Fairy Pools but there are no wrong answers. Glenlivet (very close to your route) has a free distillery tour! Love the seafood in the Tollbooth restaurant in Stonehaven.

Don't drink and drive (at all, Scotland has a very low limit) and read up on single track driving in Scotland (specially on the other side, mainland Europe drivers are sometimes notorious for driving on the other side on single track roads). Enjoy your trip and feel free to ask more questions and we'll be happy to help.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside fest)