Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

US Handicap placards honoured?

I'm a senior (64) with degenerative arthritis in both knees. I walk with the aid of a cane and only short distances at a time. I have a USA handicapped auto placard. I'm visiting Scotland in September, staying in Bathgate and Inverness and traveling widely by rental car. Will my US placard be honoured for parking? If not, am I able/required to apply for some form of temporary "Blue Badge" and if so, how and where? I've read the car hire companies are able to provide these? I'll be in the UK for 3 weeks (also traveling from Inverness to Bath in the south of England.

Answers

• RollerRoller Member
    Hi Buster   you best checking with your car hire company, may also be best to contact the British consulate now in the states  and see what they can do to help.  all the best and enjoy your holiday 

• VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited July 2017
    Hello @Buster

As far as we understand it, a blue badge is only for residents. The UK and the USA/Canada/Australia does not have an official reciprocal agreement regarding passes. However, if you bring your placard or pass with you and are able to display it so that it can be see through your dashboard window, you should be treated sympathetically. Do also read what each parking sign says about blue badge parking/restrictions.

Please do contact Disability Scotland to see if they can offer further expert reassurance and advice.

http://www.disabilityscot.org.uk/contact-us/

The car hire companies will certainly have the correct information with regard to rental cars so it might be a good idea to contact some of them to see what they advise. 

When you are travelling around, do visit our VisitScotland iCentres for any information queries you may have about mobility issues in the local area.