Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

5 Days in the Highlands...and to finish in Glasgow!

Hi, We are going to spend 5 days in the Highlands/Glasgow next month [Aug 23-28] and am looking for any advice on what not to miss and what to see. We have booked accommodation in 4 spots - Inverness, Kyle of Lochalsh [to visit Skye], Fort William and Glasgow - and will be hiring a car. I did an initial bit of research and thought these places would give us a good flavour of this part of Scotland. Plus there's not too much driving between the destinations. However, as the time is fast approaching I would like to formulate a "plan of action". Thing is the more sites and info you read the more options and things begin to multiply. I believe a holiday should be a mix of seeing things but also trying to soak up some of the local atmosphere. Nobody wants be stuck to a regimented dash through a country. I would really appreciate any thoughts or recommendations for the timescale and area in question.

Best Answers

Answers

• GiggsyPGiggsyP Member
    Thanks for the above replies people. 'Horizons' our interests would be a broad mix of seeing the natural landscape and getting a flavour of the local life be it historical or modern. I realise we are trying to cram in things somewhat but 5 days is all we got to play with. Being from Ireland I think our rural roads are pretty similar to our rural roads so no problems adapting there! Last year we spent 5 days in Iceland and got to see lots without overdoing it on the driving side. There are two of us to share the load. Thanks for the recommedations re Fort William. With regards to Skye we could'nt stay on the island as when I booked back in January there was a scarcity of places and what there was left was very expensive. I thought the Kyle of Lochalsh was a good alternative as the Skye road bridge is close by and it sets us up nicely the next day for the journey to Ft Wm. I realise Skye is a large island in its own right and dont expect to see it all and .was only planning on concentrating of the West side (Portree)