Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

***SEEKING HELP***

Looking to travel from oban across to Barra then up through South Uist into North Uist then across into Harris, then ending up in Lewis where we want to catch ferry from to Uig & down through Skye into Kyle of Locals travelling back to Glasgow. This is in my own car with my 11 year old daughter. Trying to plan this out over 5 days Thurs-Mon but have NO CLUE where to start, where to stay, where to vist etc etc. Is there any help anyone can give please. Ive tried looking for a kind of kind of route planner to help but been unsuccessful. Calmac have said there isn't a cheaper way of booking a bulk/multi-travel ticket. We quite fancy maybe having a wee night in a wigwam/pod or something a little different for my daughter, although the cost of everything has a major factor. Make it as easy as possible ☺️☺️ please. TIA x

ps: I'm new so be gentle

Comments

• FishjaggerFishjagger Member ✭✭

@Gayle Hello!  Calmac offer the "HopScotch" ticket which should reduce the cost slightly if you purchase one of these options.

There is a daily sailing from Oban to Barra at 13:40, you arrive in Barra at around 18:30.  Although, during the summer months, you have the option of the once weekly ferry service from Oban to Barra, departing Oban at 07:10 arriving in Barra at 14:15 - but this crossing goes via the Isle of Coll and Tiree - amazing scenery and nice to do that trip to see a couple of other islands, although you do not get off the ferry.

For accommodation in Barra, Dunard hostel in Castlebay, where the ferry arrives, offers affordable accommodation with also one back garden wooden cabin.  The cost of this is £40 for the night.  Really nice hostel, good atmosphere, and the seclusion of a twin basic cabin if you want this option.

Otherwise it would be one of the 4 hotels on Barra or bed and breakfast accommodation. 

Worth going to the Barra airport to watch a plane land/take off on the beach and have a lovely coffee there, and best wifi access on the island!

Ferry from the north end of Barra to the Isle of Eriskay, takes about 40 minutes. 

Different accommodation options on South Uist, from hotels to B&Bs also in North Uist and Berneray.  Beautiful beaches!  And from Eriskay to Berneray is all linked by causeways.

Ferry from Berneray to Harris, then drive through Harris via the stunning beaches (again!).  Hostels, hotels and bed and breakfasts available.

Heading north to Lewis, Callanish stones an incredible place to visit, as too are beaches.  It can be quieter in Harrris and Lewis on a Sunday, just to bear that in mind.

Ferry from Tarbert (Harris) to Uig on Skye where I think there are several camping pods/wigwams available to stay in throughout the island - worth checking on here on the "unusual sleeps" section I think I have seen that before.

Then maybe instead of the Skye bridge - take the Skye - Glenelg ferry, last remaining turntable ferry in the world!  Great experience and lovely village.

Or...go for the Calmac Hopscotch ticket where you take the ferry from Armadale (Skye) to Mallaig - possibly pass the "Harry Potter" Jacobite steam train going over the Glenfinnan viaduct if you time it right...onto Fort William then down the A82...

Lots of options, try calmac website and check out their hopscotch tickets.  Having frequented the islands its worth calling the tourist offices as they quiet often have accommodation that cannot be found online - worth a shout.

• HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Just want to add that there is a lot of driving and travel time rolled into this itinerary. I dont think you'll be able to stay at a place more than 1 night more than once.

If you daughter is into fashion at all, take a small detour while on Harris to see the wee Harris Tweed museum in Drinishader. Better yet would be to see Harris Tweed being made but the museum has exhibits showing the end to end process and clothes made by the world's top designers.

Stay atleast 1 night on Skye (lot of area to cover). Eilean Donan castle is near Kyle of Lochalsh and worth the visit.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside fest)