Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Supercar Driving Experience in Fife

EdinBrawGaryEdinBrawGary VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭

I recently had the chance to drive a supercar in Fife Airport, it's not something I've ever thought of doing, but I had an absolute blast! 

The event was part of a bloggers weekend of fun in Fife, organised by Visit Scotland and Welcome to Fife.

As a non-driver, I assumed I would only be able to sit in the passenger's seat, but it turns out anybody over the age of 12 can drive a supercar. Upon hearing this, I reverted to an excitable 12-year-old and quickly selected the red car before they could change their mind. 

For petrol heads, the red car was a Ferrari 458 Italia, with a top speed of 202MPH and able to achieve 0-60 in 3.4 seconds.

Driving something worth more than our flat was a daunting concept, especially for somebody who failed their driving test twice 15 years ago. Thankfully, the team at Supercar Experience Days were so friendly, they were easily able to put us at ease during the safety briefing. 

To get used to the track we were taken for a sighting lap, highly recommended if you plan on doing this yourself. You'll get a better idea of what to expect and know which way to go. This was thrilling in its own right, it was in an SUV rather than a supercar, but it was still extremely fast! 

As the designated thrill-seeker, I was invited to be driven around the track at top speed prior to my own attempt. This was an incredible experience, I had no idea I would enjoy this as much as I did. Whilst I didn't achieve the same level of speed on my own laps, they were even more exciting with me behind the wheel - I suddenly had a new appreciation for The Fast and Furious franchise. I was pretty cautious on my first lap, but soon relaxed into it, I'd happily have paid for a few more laps if we had time. 

It's worth noting that the instructors in the cars are registered driving instructors and the cars are all automatic with dual controls. The only thing you can crash into are some small plastic cones, which I somehow avoided entirely! 

I still can't believe I got to drive a Ferrari or that a 12-year-old would be able to drive one too. Imagine having a test drive of a supercar before you can legally even start to learn, that would be one hell of a story for school! 

Huge thanks to Supercar Experience Days for putting on such a fun event and to Visit Scotland and Welcome to Fife for organising it.

For more details, please visit: http://www.supercarexperiencedaysuk.com

Gary Wood - Blogger at EdinBraw - The Best of Edinburgh
Passionate about Edinburgh's food and festival scene and slowly starting to explore Scotland. 
Find me on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook