Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Your off the beaten track favourites?

Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
I'm constant amazed at the great food you can find in the most unlikely places in Scotland.  

Yesterday we were hiking in Glen Lyon and had lunch at the Glen Lyon Tearoom.  Our first al fresco lunch of 2016. Yay.  It was busy too, yet the spot is remote by Perthshire standards. The food was delicious. 

Another that amazed me last year was The Boathouse on the Isle of Ulva. Fantastic seafood, cakes, homemade soups. On an island where the population doesn't even reach double figures. It was packed to the rafters at lunchtime so clearly being on an island off an island doesn't deter keen foodies from visiting. 

Another Boathouse on another small island this time Gigha.  Like its Ulva namesake the food here was delicious too. Catches fresh from the sea and a warm welcome environment. 

Yet another island favourite of mine was The Bridgend Hotel in Bridgend, Islay.  Bridgend is a small village in a quiet location on the island. The food here was consistently high and mouth watering during our stay. My husband still raves about the best breakfast ever, two years after our visit.  

Scotland has a rich natural larder and you don't need to look very far to find great food. My experience has often been the remoter the location the better the food which couldnt be further from the myth of irn-bru and deep fried Mars Bars. 

Do you have any off the beaten track recommendations you'd like to share?
I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

Tagged: