Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Argyll - The Region with a Bit of Everything

travelswithakilttravelswithakilt VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
I've never quite understood why Argyll doesn't get a lot more hype when travellers are pondering the best of Scotland over a dram or a cuppa. Abundant in world class hiking, genre-defining castles, coastal magnificence and some of the best roadtrips in the continent, it seems almost unfair to have all of this within 2 hours of my Glasgow base. I tend not to complain though.

The Walks
From the epic ascents of Ben Arthur and Ben Cruachan to gentle wanders like Dun na Cuaiche at Inveraray, I can't imagine anyone in the car complaining. The Cobbler (Ben Arthur) is a particular favourite amongst us west coasters and little Arrochar is stormed year-round by enthusiastic climbers desperate to rack up one of Scotland's most distinctive peaks.

The Castles
The variety on offer is total. Kilchurn dominates one end of the spectrum and is the definition of atmospheric ruin. Set, ridiculously, on the banks of Loch Awe and surrounded by rolling hills (and not much else) it has had photographers and artists in a frenzy since forever. Pretty relics like Castle Stalker have the middle ground and Inveraray Casle claims the throne for aesthetics. Opulent and extravagant, it belongs firmly in a fairytale. Looking past castles, you can go even further back in time with a stretch down at Kilmartin Glen. Standing stones abound. I defy any history lover not to be absolutely beside themselves in Argyll.

The Coast
As if Argyll's various Lochs were not enough (and you've not sufficiently stuffed your face with oysters at Loch Fyne) then head to Oban. The only real hub in the area, 'The Gateway to the Isles' has everything you'd hope for in a coastal town, and more. Fish and chips, top drawer seafood, a distillery, a bizarre piece of architecture and a constant buzz of workers and folk excitedly getting ready for their holidays. Be sure to take in the views from McCaig's Tower over the town and the glorious views west.

Kerrera and Seil also beckon just a stone's throw across the water. But I'll leave the islands for another day.....

Read more about my Argyll adventures as I continue to explore this summer and let me know your favourite spots!

Scotland travel blogger and writer with a wee bit of photography and video thrown in. Love nothing more than exploring my home country and have a particular leaning towards the outdoors, history and our national drink.

You can also find me on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Tumblr.

Comments

• EdinBloggerEdinBlogger VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    Argyll looks absolutely stunning, I feel like we've been ignoring huge chunks of Scotland.

Time to get planning a few weekend trips to restore the balance!
    Gary Wood - Blogger at EdinBraw - The Best of Edinburgh
    Passionate about Edinburgh's food and festival scene and slowly starting to explore Scotland. 
    Find me on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook