Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Spotting Highland coo's near Dundee?

Good evening everyone,

August marks my third trip to Scotland which will be my longest stay so far. I've always wanted to see a Highland coo (got coo slippers in Edinburgh so it's safe to say I'm starting to get obsessed) but I only managed to catch a glimpse of them during a car ride to the airport. Usually we (my boyfriend and I) use public transport to get where we have to be since neither of us have access to a car or even a driving license. That makes seeing a coo up close more difficult and we have really struggled to find them, but without success. We even went to Pollok park in Glasgow because we were told they should be nearby, but even then we couldn't find them. Does anyone know a good, accessible spot where I can finally meet some? I'm from the Netherlands myself so there's plenty of cows nearby, but seeing a furry version is the ultimate dream!

Best Answer

Answers

• VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I think @VisitScotlandHeather might be able to help you!
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • IngeKleefmanIngeKleefman Member
    IngeKleefman, I believe there are Highland Cows in the grazing fields at the Riverside Nature Park (download the leaflet for a map which also shows where the bus stop is). Or if you're heading to Glamis Castle, which can be accessed by bus, there are coos in the gardens there. 

Don't forget to share your Highland Coo pics over on this thread  :)
    The park is very close by to where we would be, can't believe we've missed it. And I hadn't even heard of Glamis Castle, definitely a must see now as well. Thank you so much!
  • YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    There's a bunch of them at Scone palace too - the young ones are quite friendly... 
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • IngeKleefmanIngeKleefman Member
    Just a quick update; today we went to Riverside Park and were able to spot 3 beautiful cows there. I wouldn't have seen them if it wasn't for this forum, thanks so much!
  • VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @IngeKleefman Get any photos?