Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Day trips from Glasgow

So unfortunately I only have a few days off from work this summer and I just got a car.  Any suggestions for day trips from Glasgow? Nice, inexpensive places to stay for a night here or there?  I have been to Skye a few times now and really enjoy it but looking for a few other suggestiions on places I should see.  Thanks in advance!

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    Skye is hardly the kind of place that pops in my head as a 1 night stay trip from Glasgow but to each his/her own. You'll also have to define inexpensive, the cheapest way to stay overnight in Scotland is to camp at one of the many picturesque campsites across the country (on average £10-15 per night with a car, cheaper than hostels).

Tip for cutting costs is to stay at a place that's not the main village of the area, conversely it might take slightly longer to get there. I've stayed at a couple of out of the way AirBnbs and the experience was simply amazing.

Suggestions (3 hr driving radius): Multiple places in Perthshire (Loch Tummel is my fav), Arran, Glencoe, Oban / Mull, Speyside, Glen Clova, Braemar, Bridge of Orchy (hostel in the railway station), Glenfinnan.

If I were to be in your situation, I'd either camp / learn to camp (which I did a year back) OR trawl through AirBnbs / hostels available for my dates in the areas above, make a booking and just go.
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
  • VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @Dragonmonkey ;

Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park is pretty close to Glasgow and you could easily spend time exploring the different regions within the park, either just in the one day or you could incorporate an overnight stay.  I really enjoy doing the Scenic Routes trail though the National Park which takes in some really beautiful viewpoints and there are plenty of opportunities to get out of the car and stretch your legs.  My particular favourite points to stop at along the scenic route are:

• Luss -a beautiful conservation village with traditional stone cottages and amazing views across to the mountains on the eastern shore.
    • Inveruglas - An Ceanne Mor is one of the scenic viewpoints on the trail and the view from the top of the small wooden pyramid is stunning.
    • The Drovers Inn  - a quirky pub on the roadside at Inverarnan with lots of character.
    • Falls of Falloch - The Woven Sound is also part of the scenic viewpoints but the falls themselves are amazing.
    • Killin - just off the scenic route but the Falls of Dochart are awesome!
    • Bracklinn Falls -  These can be reached from the village of Callander and are spectacular.
    • Dukes Pass - This is a slight detour from the Scenic Route trail but the views along this road are not to be missed!  Ben A'an is a great (and very steep) walk with some magical views looking over Loch Katrine and the Trossachs.  For a shorter walk, stop at The Lodge Forest Visitor Centre and follow the path down to the Little Fawn Waterfall passing some mirrored sculptures on the way.
    • Balloch - The largest village on Loch Lomond with some spectacular panoramic views and lots of great attractions and activities.
    There's a huge range of budget accommodation available within the Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park.  I like the sound of camping cabins or wigwams which are usually a cheaper alternative to B&B or Guest House accommodation.  Check out this section which might be of use in finding somewhere to stay! :)
  • Hey! There are some gorgeous parks around the Glasgow area, have you ever checked out the campsies? It's to the north of Glasgow, I was there just a few days ago and it's stunning. You have the opportunity to stand under a waterfall and it has three waterfalls all within minutes of each other. You also have Rouken Glen Park in Giffnock that has a stunning nature trail through some gorgeous woodland and has a few waterfalls too! Really gorgeous places and very close to Glasgow. If you've got any questions about these parks, give me a message on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook, my username is naturegeekgirl
  • VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    How about some other islands? Barra, Coll and Mull are reachable from Oban by CalMac ferries and you can easily get to Arran from Ardrossan using the CalMac ferry. 
  • Stefano_1988Stefano_1988 Member ✭✭
    Hi there,
    I would even suggest New Lanark, an 18th century industrial village that in 2001 was officially included in the Unesco World Heritage Site.

It is easily reachable from Glasgow by bus or train (as in my case) and one day is enough to visit the site as well as exploring the nearby Falls of Clyde.

@VisitScotlandJulie Hi, I have a blog about New Lanark, may I link it here?
    Thank you very much, Stefano
  • VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @Stefano_1988, yes of course please do if it will help anyone to find out more about it. Thanks.
  • Stefano_1988Stefano_1988 Member ✭✭
    Hi there,
    I would even suggest New Lanark, an 18th century industrial village that in 2001 was officially included in the Unesco World Heritage Site.

It is easily reachable from Glasgow by bus or train (as in my case) and one day is enough to visit the site as well as exploring the nearby Falls of Clyde.

@VisitScotlandJulie Hi, I have a blog about New Lanark, may I link it here?
    Thank you very much, Stefano
    Thank you very much @VisitScotlandJulie, I've just added the link.