Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Speciality food stores across Scotland

HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
Food is a big part of our travels, we love to try the local cuisine out wherever we go. Since we now mostly live in AirBnbs or self-catering flats, we tend to buy local produce and cook ourselves if we have the time. This has led to culinary discoveries for us across Scotland which we listed out yesterday.

Full list with details: 9 speciality food items from across Scotland

Our list summarized :
  • Hammond Charcuterie products – Edinburgh Farmers market
  • MacLeod & MacLeod Black pudding – Stornoway
  • Smoked cheese – Highland charcuterie, Sutherland
  • Loch Harport Oysters – Carbost, Isle of Skye
  • Orkney lamb – E Flett butchers, Stromness Orkney
  • Laphroaig jam – Islay
  • Smoked & fresh fish – Andy Race Fish Merchants, Mallaig
  • Haggis – Isle of Arran butchers, Blackwaterfoot, Arran
  • Tunnocks (dark chocolate) teacakes – Glasgow
I'd love to know your favourite local food item (can be from a butcher / fishmonger / farmer) from your Scotland experiences.
We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)

Comments

• VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Also from Edinburgh's Farmers Market: (from 9am to 2pm in Castle Terrace)
    - Arran Cheese: There are many different flavours of Cheddar cheese from whisky, herbs or mustard - a very nice gift for someone as they are wrapped in wax
    - Puddledub sausages: They are world class. I am sure other products they offer are equally as good but I haven't tasted them so can't comment
  • HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    @VisitScotlandMuriel oh yes, we love Pubbledub sausages, we bought them from the Edinburgh farmers market too. I quite miss the market now that I live away from it, so many awesome producers. The goose eggs from Brewsters are so unique and awesome.

Have one more recommendation for Oyster lovers, Loch Fyne oysters on the way to Inveraray from Arrochar. What a beautiful setting to have some top quality oysters. Plus Fyne Ales next door makes some fyne beers :wink:
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)