Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Two year stay

Hi,  I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this,  but here goes.  I'm looking to move to Scotland for a couple of years.  I love the country and really want to stay for an extended period of time.  I would like to work part time to pay for some of the costs.  Any suggestions on where to stay and finding a part time job would be appreciated.
Thank you!

Comments

• fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @JAK , Have you ever thought about Pitlochry as a place to live. It is a very busy tourist town in the heart of Scotland. There are lots of seasonal jobs available when you apply early enough. A friend of mine uses "Work Away" where your accommodation is free when you work in return. If this is a possibility then let me know and I can pass on his details.
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @JAK
    A good place to start if you are thinking of Edinburgh is the Job Centre. If you are from abroad, you will need to register for a National Insurance number before being able to work here. You will need an appointment with the Job Centre to do this or I think you can also apply online. Again in Edinburgh there are lots of seasonal jobs for the summer so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding work.
  • JAKJAK Member
    Thank you for the feedback.  I'm very interested in the "Work away" idea.  I would really like to be centrally located. I will look at Pitlochry, that sounds promising.  Thank you for the heads up regarding  the insurance card.  I will contact the Job Centre.  I'm looking at sometime next year so I have time to work this out.  Thank you both!
  • argyllgirlargyllgirl Member ✭✭
    The most important questions are do you have UK citizenship, a parent with citizenship, etc.  What visa do you qualify for?  Many people come here and think they can just pick up and move here.
  • zahedzahed Member
    Hi, i am a UAE national and i would like to visit scotland. Can any one please help advise how do i go about it? 
  • HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    UAE citizens can apply for an electronic visa waiver in lieu of a visa. Check out the Gov.uk website for full information.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, DunoonSpeyside)