Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Loch Awe

Hi, my name is Jordan and I'm from Raiford, Florida (USA).  I am in 10th grade and have an assignment in my Biology class that I am hoping I can get some help with.  I have to do a virtual field trip to a body of water and I have picked Loch Awe.  I have (I think) figured out that the loch is not very salty because their are pike there and they are low salinity fish.  But can't find anything to tell me if the loch freezes over during the winter.  Also if anyone knows if there is any research on the effects of climate change to the loch.  Thanks to anyone who can help me answer these questions!

Comments

• LochgmarcpLochgmarcp VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Hi Jordan,

Loch Awe is a freshwater loch,fed by surrounding smaller hill lochs. In the winter only some of the shallow edges can freeze over although this is very rare and i have hardly witnessed it to be honest. If you try Forestry Commision Scotland website and SEPA you might find some more info relating to Loch Awe

Instagram.com/Lochgmarcp @lochgmarcp
  • JordanJordan Member
    Thank you so much Lochgmarcp !  I will look up the 2 sites you suggested!  I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out with this!
    Jordan
  • VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    We haven't had a really cold winter since 2011 and I don't remember if Lochs were frozen over then. It's a bit unlikely unless we get a arctic spell of weather. I hope this helps and good luck with your research!